Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow startup and shutdown

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:53:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

My wife and I each have an XP Home Edition Desktop. Her startup and her
shutdown often lead to an error message ( usually something about a
sysmanager.dll, but not always) and a failure to start up or shutdown
completely without using Task Manager. I do not have this problem. Except
for our screen background and a couple of applications that have always been
present, our desktops are identical. The problem began before loading SP2
and hasn't changed.
--
Paul S. Safyan

More about : slow startup shutdown

October 24, 2004 9:35:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Saf Wrote:
> My wife and I each have an XP Home Edition Desktop. Her startup and
> her
> shutdown often lead to an error message ( usually something about a
> sysmanager.dll, but not always) and a failure to start up or shutdown
> completely without using Task Manager. I do not have this problem.
> Except
> for our screen background and a couple of applications that have always
> been
> present, our desktops are identical. The problem began before loading
> SP2
> and hasn't changed.
> --
> Paul S. Safyan


Hi Paul,

It sounds very much like you have some spyware on your PC.
I would like to get you to test something for me.
Boot your PC to "Safe Mode"
Do this by repeatedly tapping on the "F8" key during the boot process
(Prior to the Windows is Loading screen appearing) and select "Safe
Mode" from the Boot Menu.

Once in Windows Safe Mode
Click "Start" then "Run" anf then click type in "msconfig" and click
"OK"
Change the option on the "General" Tab to "Selective Startup"
Then you need to untick the following boxes:
"Process SYSTEM.INI"
"Process WIN.INI"
"Load STARTUP Items"

DO NOT untick "Load System Services"

Click on the "Services" Tab. Tick the box above the "OK" button that
says "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then click the "Disable ALL"
button and then Untick the "Hide All Microsoft Services" button. Verify
tht a number of boxes appear again with tick's beside them.

Click "OK" then click "Close" and select "Restart"

When the computer boots up, does the same problem occur?


Good Luck
Smacky
Microsoft Personal Support
http://support.microsoft.com
and
interVations Internet Director
http://www.intervations.com.au

Please note the below discalimer is not due to incorrect information
having been given, nor

because I expect to give any, however I do need to cover myself in the
even that someone

does not follow instructions correctly.


DISCLAIMER
The information provided here is NOT provided
on behalf of Microsoft or interVations.
The information supplied is from my own knowledge
and it is recommended that you research all avenues
before taking/using any advice displensed to you.
You are responsible for actions taken on your own PC
and I cannot and do not accept any responsibility for
your actions as a direct or indirect result of my advice


--
smacky
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 7:53:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
What is the next step?
Thanks.
Saf

"smacky" wrote:

>
> Saf Wrote:
> > My wife and I each have an XP Home Edition Desktop. Her startup and
> > her
> > shutdown often lead to an error message ( usually something about a
> > sysmanager.dll, but not always) and a failure to start up or shutdown
> > completely without using Task Manager. I do not have this problem.
> > Except
> > for our screen background and a couple of applications that have always
> > been
> > present, our desktops are identical. The problem began before loading
> > SP2
> > and hasn't changed.
> > --
> > Paul S. Safyan
>
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> It sounds very much like you have some spyware on your PC.
> I would like to get you to test something for me.
> Boot your PC to "Safe Mode"
> Do this by repeatedly tapping on the "F8" key during the boot process
> (Prior to the Windows is Loading screen appearing) and select "Safe
> Mode" from the Boot Menu.
>
> Once in Windows Safe Mode
> Click "Start" then "Run" anf then click type in "msconfig" and click
> "OK"
> Change the option on the "General" Tab to "Selective Startup"
> Then you need to untick the following boxes:
> "Process SYSTEM.INI"
> "Process WIN.INI"
> "Load STARTUP Items"
>
> DO NOT untick "Load System Services"
>
> Click on the "Services" Tab. Tick the box above the "OK" button that
> says "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then click the "Disable ALL"
> button and then Untick the "Hide All Microsoft Services" button. Verify
> tht a number of boxes appear again with tick's beside them.
>
> Click "OK" then click "Close" and select "Restart"
>
> When the computer boots up, does the same problem occur?
>
>
> Good Luck
> Smacky
> Microsoft Personal Support
> http://support.microsoft.com
> and
> interVations Internet Director
> http://www.intervations.com.au
>
> Please note the below discalimer is not due to incorrect information
> having been given, nor
>
> because I expect to give any, however I do need to cover myself in the
> even that someone
>
> does not follow instructions correctly.
>
>
> DISCLAIMER
> The information provided here is NOT provided
> on behalf of Microsoft or interVations.
> The information supplied is from my own knowledge
> and it is recommended that you research all avenues
> before taking/using any advice displensed to you.
> You are responsible for actions taken on your own PC
> and I cannot and do not accept any responsibility for
> your actions as a direct or indirect result of my advice
>
>
> --
> smacky
>
Related resources
October 25, 2004 5:26:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Saf Wrote:
> That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
> What is the next step?
> Thanks.
> Saf
>


Saf,

I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
the cause.

I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.

Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:

Instructions:
Click "Scan"
Click "Save Log"
Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
causes of the hijackers and spyware.

Download Hijackthis Here:
http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....


Thanks
Smacky


--
smacky
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:35:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

A problem that has cropped up since changing msconfig is that the Kodak
connection camera service has stopped, and I don't seem to be able to restart
it. I am unable to download photos from my digital camera, even though the
computer "sees" the camera.

Is there a quick fix?

I will download the other program now.
Saf

"smacky" wrote:

>
> Saf Wrote:
> > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
> > What is the next step?
> > Thanks.
> > Saf
> >
>
>
> Saf,
>
> I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
> relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
> to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
> the cause.
>
> I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
> little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.
>
> Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:
>
> Instructions:
> Click "Scan"
> Click "Save Log"
> Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
> causes of the hijackers and spyware.
>
> Download Hijackthis Here:
> http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....
>
>
> Thanks
> Smacky
>
>
> --
> smacky
>
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:45:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Smacky:

I hope you read the post about my Kodak camera problems.

Here is the log from Hijackthis. I had some trouble downloading it .

saf

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 7:36:48 PM, on 10/27/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
c:\program files\comcast\security manager\app\CurtainsSysSvcNt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
c:\program files\comcast\security manager\app\PRISM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\xwxnwhcw.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.comcast.net/comcast.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http://websearch.drsnsrch.com/sidesearch.cgi?id=
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
http://websearch.drsnsrch.com/sidesearch.cgi?id=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
http://websearch.drsnsrch.com/sidesearch.cgi?id=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
http://if.searchcentrix.com/sidecat.jsp?p=98567&appid=2...
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft
Internet Explorer provided by Comcast High-Speed Internet
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings,ProxyServer = funnel.ds.adp.com:8585
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings,ProxyOverride =
*.r5.attbi.com;139.126.*.*;172.17.*;204.*;206.*;;localhost;*.adpcorp.*;<local>
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant =
http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50017
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - (no
file)
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,c:\program
files\comcast\security manager\app\SecurityManager.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} -
C:\WINDOWS\bi.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {01F44A8A-8C97-4325-A378-76E68DC4AB2E} -
C:\WINDOWS\systb.dll
O2 - BHO: Recommended Hotfix - {0421701D-CF13-4E70-ADF0-45A953E7CB8B} -
C:\Program Files\Recommended Hotfix - 421701D\v15\RH.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-DFF7-EC6BF4D5FA7D} -
C:\WINDOWS\gsim.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program
Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E434D3C7-A673-4100-8140-79C020945017} - C:\Program
Files\Comcast\Security Manager\app\AuthBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} -
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Security Manager Popup Blocker -
{53829F91-1B06-4DB9-B13E-812A986169F9} - C:\Program Files\Comcast\Security
Manager\app\AuthBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig]
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lscwja] C:\WINDOWS\System32\xwxnwhcw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Manager] C:\Program Files\Comcast\Security
Manager\app\SecurityManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe"
-atboottime
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Define (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Dell Home (HKCU)
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.comcast.net
O16 - DPF: {0A891521-685E-4B6D-A9FD-759BB2CD6A66} (SecureImage Control) -
http://www.psbwebsurveys.com/secure/SecureImage.cab
O16 - DPF: {12589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-10AA1055595A} -
http://www.wsel.net/imcupdatefiles/whistlesilent610.cab
O16 - DPF: {1678F7E1-C422-11D0-AD7D-00400515CAAA} -
http://files.cometsystems.com/cometcursor/cobrand/comet...
O16 - DPF: {30000273-8230-4DD4-BE4F-6889D1E74167} -
http://download2.abetterinternet.com/download/cabs/FON3...
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} -
http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20030530/qtinstall....
O16 - DPF: {459729AC-727D-4D97-B18A-72EE224EFEC0} -
http://defender.veloz.com/pub/download/scandl_advt.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} -
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuct...
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) -
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash...

Please let me hear from you soon.

Thanks.

"smacky" wrote:

>
> Saf Wrote:
> > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
> > What is the next step?
> > Thanks.
> > Saf
> >
>
>
> Saf,
>
> I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
> relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
> to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
> the cause.
>
> I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
> little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.
>
> Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:
>
> Instructions:
> Click "Scan"
> Click "Save Log"
> Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
> causes of the hijackers and spyware.
>
> Download Hijackthis Here:
> http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....
>
>
> Thanks
> Smacky
>
>
> --
> smacky
>
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 11:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Still waiting for further help.

"smacky" wrote:

>
> Saf Wrote:
> > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
> > What is the next step?
> > Thanks.
> > Saf
> >
>
>
> Saf,
>
> I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
> relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
> to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
> the cause.
>
> I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
> little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.
>
> Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:
>
> Instructions:
> Click "Scan"
> Click "Save Log"
> Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
> causes of the hijackers and spyware.
>
> Download Hijackthis Here:
> http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....
>
>
> Thanks
> Smacky
>
>
> --
> smacky
>
!