Slow startup and shutdown

My wife and I each have an XP Home Edition Desktop. Her startup and her
shutdown often lead to an error message ( usually something about a
sysmanager.dll, but not always) and a failure to start up or shutdown
completely without using Task Manager. I do not have this problem. Except
for our screen background and a couple of applications that have always been
present, our desktops are identical. The problem began before loading SP2
and hasn't changed.
--
Paul S. Safyan
7 answers Last reply

    Saf Wrote:
    > My wife and I each have an XP Home Edition Desktop. Her startup and
    > her
    > shutdown often lead to an error message ( usually something about a
    > sysmanager.dll, but not always) and a failure to start up or shutdown
    > completely without using Task Manager. I do not have this problem.
    > Except
    > for our screen background and a couple of applications that have always
    > been
    > present, our desktops are identical. The problem began before loading
    > SP2
    > and hasn't changed.
    > --
    > Paul S. Safyan

    Hi Paul,

    It sounds very much like you have some spyware on your PC.
    I would like to get you to test something for me.
    Boot your PC to "Safe Mode"
    Do this by repeatedly tapping on the "F8" key during the boot process
    (Prior to the Windows is Loading screen appearing) and select "Safe
    Mode" from the Boot Menu.

    Once in Windows Safe Mode
    Click "Start" then "Run" anf then click type in "msconfig" and click
    "OK"
    Change the option on the "General" Tab to "Selective Startup"
    Then you need to untick the following boxes:
    "Process SYSTEM.INI"
    "Process WIN.INI"
    "Load STARTUP Items"

    DO NOT untick "Load System Services"

    Click on the "Services" Tab. Tick the box above the "OK" button that
    says "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then click the "Disable ALL"
    button and then Untick the "Hide All Microsoft Services" button. Verify
    tht a number of boxes appear again with tick's beside them.

    Click "OK" then click "Close" and select "Restart"

    When the computer boots up, does the same problem occur?

    Good Luck
    Smacky
    Microsoft Personal Support
    http://support.microsoft.com
    and
    interVations Internet Director
    http://www.intervations.com.au

    Please note the below discalimer is not due to incorrect information
    having been given, nor

    because I expect to give any, however I do need to cover myself in the
    even that someone

    does not follow instructions correctly.

    DISCLAIMER
    The information provided here is NOT provided
    on behalf of Microsoft or interVations.
    The information supplied is from my own knowledge
    and it is recommended that you research all avenues
    before taking/using any advice displensed to you.
    You are responsible for actions taken on your own PC
    and I cannot and do not accept any responsibility for
    your actions as a direct or indirect result of my advice

    --
    smacky

    That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
    What is the next step?
    Thanks.
    Saf

    Saf Wrote:
    > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
    > What is the next step?
    > Thanks.
    > Saf

    Saf,

    I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
    relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
    to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
    the cause.

    I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
    little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.

    Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:

    Instructions:
    Click "Scan"
    Click "Save Log"
    Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
    causes of the hijackers and spyware.

    Download Hijackthis Here:
    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    Thanks
    Smacky

    --
    smacky

    A problem that has cropped up since changing msconfig is that the Kodak
    connection camera service has stopped, and I don't seem to be able to restart
    it. I am unable to download photos from my digital camera, even though the
    computer "sees" the camera.

    Is there a quick fix?

    I will download the other program now.
    Saf

    "smacky" wrote:

    > Saf Wrote:
    > > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
    > > What is the next step?
    > > Thanks.
    > > Saf
    > >

    > Saf,
    >
    > I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
    > relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
    > to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
    > the cause.
    >
    > I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
    > little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.
    >
    > Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:
    >
    > Instructions:
    > Click "Scan"
    > Click "Save Log"
    > Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
    > causes of the hijackers and spyware.
    >
    > Download Hijackthis Here:
    > http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html
    >

    > Thanks
    > Smacky
    >

    > --
    > smacky

    Smacky:

    I hope you read the post about my Kodak camera problems.

    Here is the log from Hijackthis. I had some trouble downloading it .

    saf

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 7:36:48 PM, on 10/27/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    c:\program files\comcast\security manager\app\CurtainsSysSvcNt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    c:\program files\comcast\security manager\app\PRISM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\xwxnwhcw.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
    http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://www.comcast.net/comcast.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
    http://websearch.drsnsrch.com/sidesearch.cgi?id=
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
    http://websearch.drsnsrch.com/sidesearch.cgi?id=
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    http://websearch.drsnsrch.com/sidesearch.cgi?id=
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    http://if.searchcentrix.com/sidecat.jsp?p=98567&appid=21&id=1447361221220820
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft
    Internet Explorer provided by Comcast High-Speed Internet
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings,ProxyServer = funnel.ds.adp.com:8585
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings,ProxyOverride =
    *.r5.attbi.com;139.126.*.*;172.17.*;204.*;206.*;;localhost;*.adpcorp.*;<local>
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant =
    http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50017
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - (no
    file)
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,c:\program
    files\comcast\security manager\app\SecurityManager.exe
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} -
    C:\WINDOWS\bi.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {01F44A8A-8C97-4325-A378-76E68DC4AB2E} -
    C:\WINDOWS\systb.dll
    O2 - BHO: Recommended Hotfix - {0421701D-CF13-4E70-ADF0-45A953E7CB8B} -
    C:\Program Files\Recommended Hotfix - 421701D\v15\RH.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-DFF7-EC6BF4D5FA7D} -
    C:\WINDOWS\gsim.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program
    Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E434D3C7-A673-4100-8140-79C020945017} - C:\Program
    Files\Comcast\Security Manager\app\AuthBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} -
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Security Manager Popup Blocker -
    {53829F91-1B06-4DB9-B13E-812A986169F9} - C:\Program Files\Comcast\Security
    Manager\app\AuthBHO.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig]
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lscwja] C:\WINDOWS\System32\xwxnwhcw.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Manager] C:\Program Files\Comcast\Security
    Manager\app\SecurityManager.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe"
    -atboottime
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
    O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Dell Home (HKCU)
    O15 - Trusted Zone: www.comcast.net
    O16 - DPF: {0A891521-685E-4B6D-A9FD-759BB2CD6A66} (SecureImage Control) -
    http://www.psbwebsurveys.com/secure/SecureImage.cab
    O16 - DPF: {12589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-10AA1055595A} -
    http://www.wsel.net/imcupdatefiles/whistlesilent610.cab
    O16 - DPF: {1678F7E1-C422-11D0-AD7D-00400515CAAA} -
    http://files.cometsystems.com/cometcursor/cobrand/comet.cab?0.9441992111998151075964595640
    O16 - DPF: {30000273-8230-4DD4-BE4F-6889D1E74167} -
    http://download2.abetterinternet.com/download/cabs/FON39120/flash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} -
    http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20030530/qtinstall.info.apple.com/bonnie/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {459729AC-727D-4D97-B18A-72EE224EFEC0} -
    http://defender.veloz.com/pub/download/scandl_advt.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} -
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37617.6032638889
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) -
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

    Please let me hear from you soon.

    Thanks.

    "smacky" wrote:

    > Saf Wrote:
    > > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
    > > What is the next step?
    > > Thanks.
    > > Saf
    > >

    > Saf,
    >
    > I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
    > relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
    > to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
    > the cause.
    >
    > I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
    > little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.
    >
    > Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:
    >
    > Instructions:
    > Click "Scan"
    > Click "Save Log"
    > Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
    > causes of the hijackers and spyware.
    >
    > Download Hijackthis Here:
    > http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html
    >

    > Thanks
    > Smacky
    >

    > --
    > smacky

    Still waiting for further help.

    "smacky" wrote:

    > Saf Wrote:
    > > That does seem to improve startup and shutdown.
    > > What is the next step?
    > > Thanks.
    > > Saf
    > >

    > Saf,
    >
    > I would like to see what exactly is causing your problem and remove the
    > relevant items from the registry as the next step, then I would get you
    > to see if the problem still occurs and if so, use msconfig to determine
    > the cause.
    >
    > I would suggest downloading "Hijackthis" which is a small but powerful
    > little program which can help us to see what is causing you problems.
    >
    > Download Hijackthis and paste the log back in here:
    >
    > Instructions:
    > Click "Scan"
    > Click "Save Log"
    > Copy the contents from the Notepad document here so we can see the
    > causes of the hijackers and spyware.
    >
    > Download Hijackthis Here:
    > http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html
    >

    > Thanks
    > Smacky
    >

    > --
    > smacky

    Your Hijackthis is too old, download the newest from
    http://www.hijackthis-download.com

    Or you find a startup manager program, to kill bad program that start
    with windows
    recommend Browser Hijack Recover download from
    http://www.download.com/Browser-Hijack-Recover-BHR-/3000-8022_4-10332599.html

Desktops Slow Startup Shutdown Windows XP