Sign in with
Your question

Can't install Windows XP games on Windows 7

Last response: in Video Games
October 17, 2011 4:24:57 AM

Hello,how i can run a windows xp supported game on my windows 7 desktop.
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 5:44:04 AM

Just install the as you would on a PC with Windows XP.

However, there are some old games that will simply not run in Windows 7. For example, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II does not run in Windows 7 at all. You can install it, but you won't be able to play it. If you want to play those games, you need to install Win XP.

Some old games may require you to play the game in Windows XP mode. Simply right click the game's EXE file, then in the compatibility tab select Win XP SP2 or SP3 mode.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 7:19:49 AM

Which game are you referring to?
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 10:24:55 AM

Almost all games can be run on windows 7 expect old games , so specify the game your talking about so that we can understand your problem properly,
m
l
October 17, 2011 1:22:44 PM

Yeah. Beacasue almost all PC games are backward compadable. as a example, i am playing Command and concor :zero hour with my windows 7 as i type this. Maybe its just a problem with you rig in partiualr...
m
l
October 20, 2011 11:10:27 AM

Almost all games from Winxp will be able to run on Win7 even 64bit, you just have to run it on compatibility mode. Knights of the old republic 1 and 2 runs on Win 7 even on 64bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2011 5:58:12 PM

venjhammet said:
Almost all games from Winxp will be able to run on Win7 even 64bit, you just have to run it on compatibility mode. Knights of the old republic 1 and 2 runs on Win 7 even on 64bit.

How did you get KOTOR II to run? I installed it and it would basically crash when I attempt to start a new game. After doing some research I found a lot of complaints that KOTOR I & II does not run in Vista or Win 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2011 11:26:36 PM

i installed that a few weeks back and apart from not supporting my screen size it worked fone for me with no xp mode or anything from what i remember. (KOTOR II btw) and the other starwars game republic commando.

just make sure your dx is upto date (install the 1 with the game) and make sure your vcredist is fully installed and working. other than that i just installed and ran it.

m
l
October 22, 2011 5:40:25 AM

I got KOTOR II working on my Windows 7 64 bit just fine. Just make sure you have the 1.0b patch, and download the KOTOR II Vista fix from Kotorfiles. That should get it running.
m
l
May 19, 2012 1:37:17 PM

anirban bhowmick said:
Hello,how i can run a windows xp supported game on my windows 7 desktop.

I am trying to play big fish hidden object games..they download without a problem but when I go to play the game nothing appears???
m
l
!