XP Home Windows Explorer Loads on Startup

My friend's XP Home PC loads Windows Explorer on boot up.
How can I stop this from happening?

Thanks,

Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about home windows explorer loads startup

    Mike wrote:
    > My friend's XP Home PC loads Windows Explorer on boot up.
    > How can I stop this from happening?

    See if it is being loaded at startuo..

    Start --> Run

    MSCONFIG

    Look under the Startup tab.. See if it is in there and eliminate it from
    the proper place.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Mike Wrote:
    > My friend's XP Home PC loads Windows Explorer on boot up.
    > How can I stop this from happening?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Hi Mike,

    Shenan has provided a good way of testing what is causing this to
    happen, however it is generally not recomended to leave the "MSCONFIG"
    utility in use all the time.

    I would suggest that you download Hijackthis.exe from the following
    location and post the log back in here. However before running
    Hijackthis, be sure to "Click Start" then "Run" and type "msconfig"
    then click "OK". On the "General" tab select "Normal Startup" then
    click "Apply" then "Close" and "EXIT WITHOUT RESTART", then run
    Hijackthis:

    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    Good Luck
    Smacky
    Microsoft Personal Support
    http://support.microsoft.com
    and
    interVations Internet Director
    http://www.intervations.com.au

    Please note the below discalimer is not due to incorrect information
    having been given, nor because I expect to give any, however I do need
    to cover myself in the even that someone does not follow instructions
    correctly.

    DISCLAIMER
    The information provided here is NOT provided
    on behalf of Microsoft or interVations.
    The information supplied is from my own knowledge
    and it is recommended that you research all avenues
    before taking/using any advice displensed to you.
    You are responsible for actions taken on your own PC
    and I cannot and do not accept any responsibility for
    your actions as a direct or indirect result of my advice

    --
    smacky

    Thanks Smacky, I'll try it.

    Mike

    "smacky" <smacky.1em7d8@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Mike Wrote:
    >> My friend's XP Home PC loads Windows Explorer on boot up.
    >> How can I stop this from happening?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Mike
    >

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Shenan has provided a good way of testing what is causing this to
    > happen, however it is generally not recomended to leave the "MSCONFIG"
    > utility in use all the time.
    >
    > I would suggest that you download Hijackthis.exe from the following
    > location and post the log back in here. However before running
    > Hijackthis, be sure to "Click Start" then "Run" and type "msconfig"
    > then click "OK". On the "General" tab select "Normal Startup" then
    > click "Apply" then "Close" and "EXIT WITHOUT RESTART", then run
    > Hijackthis:
    >
    > http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html
    >

    > Good Luck
    > Smacky
    > Microsoft Personal Support
    > http://support.microsoft.com
    > and
    > interVations Internet Director
    > http://www.intervations.com.au
    >
    > Please note the below discalimer is not due to incorrect information
    > having been given, nor because I expect to give any, however I do need
    > to cover myself in the even that someone does not follow instructions
    > correctly.
    >

    > DISCLAIMER
    > The information provided here is NOT provided
    > on behalf of Microsoft or interVations.
    > The information supplied is from my own knowledge
    > and it is recommended that you research all avenues
    > before taking/using any advice displensed to you.
    > You are responsible for actions taken on your own PC
    > and I cannot and do not accept any responsibility for
    > your actions as a direct or indirect result of my advice
    >

    > --
    > smacky

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP