Greetings all,

I've also posted in Customizing but want to post here as well.
I am using XP Pro with two user accounts each with no restrictions. With the
administrator account, I am able to setup a working shortcut to shutdown, and
one to restart. However, while logged on to the second account, the command
does not work. What am I missing?

RJJ

Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts

Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
Make sure Start in has: %windir%

Desktop Reboot Shortcut
Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
Make sure Start in has: %windir%

Customize the icons
Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Change Icon button

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:582314BB-760E-4FF5-9406-9C013BF9DE52@microsoft.com,
RJJ <RJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Greetings all,
>
> I've also posted in Customizing but want to post here as well.
> I am using XP Pro with two user accounts each with no restrictions.
> With the administrator account, I am able to setup a working shortcut
> to shutdown, and one to restart. However, while logged on to the
> second account, the command does not work. What am I missing?
>
> RJJ

Wesley,

That is the command I used. However, on the second account, the screen only
flickers briefly but does not execute. What else could it be?

RJJ

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts
>
> Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
> Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
> Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>
> Desktop Reboot Shortcut
> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
> Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
> Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
> Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>
> Customize the icons
> Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Change Icon button
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:582314BB-760E-4FF5-9406-9C013BF9DE52@microsoft.com,
> RJJ <RJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I've also posted in Customizing but want to post here as well.
> > I am using XP Pro with two user accounts each with no restrictions.
> > With the administrator account, I am able to setup a working shortcut
> > to shutdown, and one to restart. However, while logged on to the
> > second account, the command does not work. What am I missing?
> >
> > RJJ

RJJ,

Where are the shortcuts located? On the Desktop? Start Menu?

Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Find Target button

Does each shortcut find shutdown.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32??

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:94169523-8179-4AFB-BE60-8468F653E8E1@microsoft.com,
RJJ <RJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> That is the command I used. However, on the second account, the
> screen only flickers briefly but does not execute. What else could it
> be?
>
> RJJ
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts
>>
>> Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
>> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard
>> opens | Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
>> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new
>> shortcut | Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>>
>> Desktop Reboot Shortcut
>> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard
>> opens | Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
>> Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new
>> shortcut | Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>>
>> Customize the icons
>> Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Change Icon
>> button
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:582314BB-760E-4FF5-9406-9C013BF9DE52@microsoft.com,
>> RJJ <RJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> I've also posted in Customizing but want to post here as well.
>>> I am using XP Pro with two user accounts each with no restrictions.
>>> With the administrator account, I am able to setup a working
>>> shortcut to shutdown, and one to restart. However, while logged on
>>> to the second account, the command does not work. What am I missing?
>>>
>>> RJJ

Wesley,

First I want to thank you for all of your help. I did manage to find the
problem though. Such a little thing but just goes to show how critical the
proper syntax is. In my second account (the one not working), I preceeded the
00 with a -(dash). I did not have this in my working command. I originally
tried to copy the command but the copy did not work from user to user. Once
again thanks for your help.

RJJ

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> RJJ,
>
> Where are the shortcuts located? On the Desktop? Start Menu?
>
> Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Find Target button
>
> Does each shortcut find shutdown.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32??
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:94169523-8179-4AFB-BE60-8468F653E8E1@microsoft.com,
> RJJ <RJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Wesley,
> >
> > That is the command I used. However, on the second account, the
> > screen only flickers briefly but does not execute. What else could it
> > be?
> >
> > RJJ
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts
> >>
> >> Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
> >> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard
> >> opens | Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
> >> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new
> >> shortcut | Make sure Start in has: %windir%
> >>
> >> Desktop Reboot Shortcut
> >> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard
> >> opens | Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
> >> Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new
> >> shortcut | Make sure Start in has: %windir%
> >>
> >> Customize the icons
> >> Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Change Icon
> >> button
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:582314BB-760E-4FF5-9406-9C013BF9DE52@microsoft.com,
> >> RJJ <RJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

RJJ,

There'a always something. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:32D2484F-13FB-4D0A-891D-2C652F4688FA@microsoft.com,