Confusion about 108MBPS G?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 4:51:59 AM

Does anyone know what's up with this standard and where we're headed? I
know there are a lot of names out there for what seems like the same
thing, I've heard it called Super G by some companies, Speed booster by
others, etc. Is this a situation like in the early days of 56K modems,
when we had US robotics out with x2, other companies out with 56K flex,
and eventually settled on the industry standard of V.90?

Right now, I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I want to invest in a G wireless
bridge, and a couple of wireless G adaptors for my PCs. If I buy
108MBPS peripherals, do I need to insure that they support so called
"speed
booster", like my Linksys or is 108MBPS the same standard no matter what
it's name is?
Thanks,
--Al

More about : confusion 108mbps

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 9:26:36 AM

"Al Puzzuoli" <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what's up with this standard and where we're
headed? I
> know there are a lot of names out there for what seems like the same
> thing, I've heard it called Super G by some companies, Speed booster
by
> others, etc. Is this a situation like in the early days of 56K
modems,
> when we had US robotics out with x2, other companies out with 56K
flex,
> and eventually settled on the industry standard of V.90?
>
> Right now, I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I want to invest in a G
wireless
> bridge, and a couple of wireless G adaptors for my PCs. If I buy
> 108MBPS peripherals, do I need to insure that they support so called
> "speed
> booster", like my Linksys or is 108MBPS the same standard no matter
what
> it's name is?
> Thanks,
> --Al

108mbs is not part of the 802.11g standard. It is proprietory methods
by diffferent manufacturers. ALthough it should be 802.11g
compliant meaning that it should work at the speeds specified by
802.11g and compatible with 802.11b speeds. I dont think
the WI-FI alliance does any interoperability testing at 108mbs because
it is not a standard, so your best bet is to go with the same brand
gear.
December 27, 2004 12:28:04 PM

This is the way I understand it. There are officially recognized
standards called 802.11a/b/g plus a couple others:
http://standards.ieee.org/wireless/

Two big consumer wireless chipmakers (Atheros and Broadcom) have
extended the 802.11g standards with their own proprietary wireless
protocols to achieve faster data transfer rates. Atheros calls their
extension "Super G", Broadcom calls their extension "125 High Speed
Mode." However, both extensions maintain compatibility with 802.11g:

Atheros - http://www.super-g.com/
Broadcom - http://www.54g.org/

Atheros and Broadcom sell their chips to networking companies like
Netgear, Linksys, DLink, etc. Netgear sticks with Atheros chipsets,
Linksys sticks with Broadcom chipsets. These companies are free to
rename the extensions, so we have "108Mbps" (Netgear), "Speedbooster"
(Linksys) and others.

So if you want to try to achieve these higher speeds (which is quite
difficult in real life), it's necessary to stick with one chipset
manufacturer. In a practical sense, this means sticking with one
consumer-level company like Netgear or Linksys or Dlink or...

Lance
*****

Al Puzzuoli thought carefully and wrote on 12/26/2004 10:51 PM:
> Does anyone know what's up with this standard and where we're headed? I
> know there are a lot of names out there for what seems like the same
> thing, I've heard it called Super G by some companies, Speed booster by
> others, etc. Is this a situation like in the early days of 56K modems,
> when we had US robotics out with x2, other companies out with 56K flex,
> and eventually settled on the industry standard of V.90?
>
> Right now, I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I want to invest in a G wireless
> bridge, and a couple of wireless G adaptors for my PCs. If I buy
> 108MBPS peripherals, do I need to insure that they support so called
> "speed
> booster", like my Linksys or is 108MBPS the same standard no matter what
> it's name is?
> Thanks,
> --Al
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 3:05:06 PM

"Al Puzzuoli" <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what's up with this standard and where we're headed? I
> know there are a lot of names out there for what seems like the same
> thing, I've heard it called Super G by some companies, Speed booster by
> others, etc. Is this a situation like in the early days of 56K modems,
> when we had US robotics out with x2, other companies out with 56K flex,
> and eventually settled on the industry standard of V.90?
>
> Right now, I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I want to invest in a G wireless
> bridge, and a couple of wireless G adaptors for my PCs. If I buy
> 108MBPS peripherals, do I need to insure that they support so called
> "speed
> booster", like my Linksys or is 108MBPS the same standard no matter what
> it's name is?

As far as I know there is Super G, and there is Pre-N(mimo). N I think is
the new standard that cannot be used yet until its ratified. Pre N is
looking better than Super G. However it depends how urgently you want it. If
you can wait however many months it is until the N protocol is ratified and
N products appear then fine, if you can't and want 108mbps now, MIMO imho
(pre-n) looks better than Super G, certainly in my experience. Better signal
quality, and longer range. Though whether their quoted ranges are accurate
or not I don't know. As for your speed booster link sys I'm afraid I don't
know much about it. I would guess you need to stick to the same technology
all round whether that be pre-n, super g or speed booster to get the full
108mbps as the implementations of 108mbps will be different.

Daniel
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 6:45:29 PM

108mbps, although doesn't appear to be a standard, you can obtain such
speeds with at least two different brands. The Netgear WG511T notebook
card attains such speeds in conjunction with the Netgear WGR624 as well
as D-Link's DI-624 and DWL-2100AP. I've tried various notebook cards,
but the Netgear WG511T stands out.

--
doug Jamal
a b F Wireless

Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in

> This is the way I understand it. There are officially recognized
> standards called 802.11a/b/g plus a couple others:
> http://standards.ieee.org/wireless/
>
> Two big consumer wireless chipmakers (Atheros and Broadcom) have
> extended the 802.11g standards with their own proprietary
> wireless protocols to achieve faster data transfer rates.
> Atheros calls their extension "Super G", Broadcom calls their
> extension "125 High Speed Mode." However, both extensions
> maintain compatibility with 802.11g:
>
> Atheros - http://www.super-g.com/
> Broadcom - http://www.54g.org/
>
> Atheros and Broadcom sell their chips to networking companies
> like Netgear, Linksys, DLink, etc. Netgear sticks with Atheros
> chipsets, Linksys sticks with Broadcom chipsets. These companies
> are free to rename the extensions, so we have "108Mbps"
> (Netgear), "Speedbooster" (Linksys) and others.
>
> So if you want to try to achieve these higher speeds (which is
> quite difficult in real life), it's necessary to stick with one
> chipset manufacturer. In a practical sense, this means sticking
> with one consumer-level company like Netgear or Linksys or Dlink
> or...
>
> Lance

Supporting Lance's view:

The various vendors are breaking ranks to introduce go-faster
features that differentiate their products and lock users into
their brand.

My advice is to not be taken in, stick with the WiFi ratified
standards.
!