Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Memory Upgrade results in No Video; Cleared CMOS..still no..

Tags:
  • Compaq
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
March 31, 2004 10:07:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Attempt to upgrade memory in Presario 7478 has resulted no video, not
booting, and unable to get back to previous functional computer.

Symptoms- Drive lights come on, but never get to compaq logo- no post,
no beeps
Power supply fan working, cpu fan working,
Have cleared cmos, removed battery overnight..expected this would be
the magic bullet if it choked on the new memory. Now I need help -
What's my next move?
Is this normal, and I have to use Emergency Startup floppy (made it on
the computer prior to upgrade)? No video seems problematic for all the
fix-its I know. And what's with the no beeping? Had expected to
decipher beep codes.
Do I add PCI Video Card? Flash BIOS? Is this the result of "shared
video memory" since this computer has onboard video?

I've built my own P4 and PII before that; I've upgraded memory on an
AMDK6 compaq laptop without incident; Would prefer not to think it's
ESD, or zapped hardware- or only as a last resort.

Computer notes- Owners said problems began when installed Kazaa.
Computer was only booting into safe-mode when I received it; had the
bios date as current date; many BSOD; re-installed windows from
C:\Windows\Options\CABs folder, and few other changes which might be
significant but it was working well and booting normally prior to
memory upgrade(also ran scandisk, defrag, ad-aware, spybot,
avg-antivirus)
Had been able to enter bios (CTRL-F10; note F10 alone wouldn't work)
and record settings the day before I upgraded memory.
Note: The owners of this computer have deleted all folders on D:
system_Sav drive and many other folders that were compaq related on C:
drive.

Have taken out pci card -modem
64MB original memory has never left it's original slot so I'd like to
assume this memory is still good. note that sticker says CL3
The 256MB memory upgrade is:( PNY- brand);(100mHz- as some people wrote
in newsgroups that 133Mhz wouldn't work); (double sided- I read that
some people who were unsuccessful think this is the problem- Has
anyone else had this problem?)

Thanks in advance for your Compaq expertise.
Mary

More about : memory upgrade results video cleared cmos

Anonymous
March 31, 2004 2:47:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I guess I have to ask the obvious question first. You did take out the new
stick and see if it boots, right?

Tom
"mary" <mtohall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:79e70934.0403310607.441e1861@posting.google.com...
> Attempt to upgrade memory in Presario 7478 has resulted no video, not
> booting, and unable to get back to previous functional computer.
>
> Symptoms- Drive lights come on, but never get to compaq logo- no post,
> no beeps
> Power supply fan working, cpu fan working,
> Have cleared cmos, removed battery overnight..expected this would be
> the magic bullet if it choked on the new memory. Now I need help -
> What's my next move?
> Is this normal, and I have to use Emergency Startup floppy (made it on
> the computer prior to upgrade)? No video seems problematic for all the
> fix-its I know. And what's with the no beeping? Had expected to
> decipher beep codes.
> Do I add PCI Video Card? Flash BIOS? Is this the result of "shared
> video memory" since this computer has onboard video?
>
> I've built my own P4 and PII before that; I've upgraded memory on an
> AMDK6 compaq laptop without incident; Would prefer not to think it's
> ESD, or zapped hardware- or only as a last resort.
>
> Computer notes- Owners said problems began when installed Kazaa.
> Computer was only booting into safe-mode when I received it; had the
> bios date as current date; many BSOD; re-installed windows from
> C:\Windows\Options\CABs folder, and few other changes which might be
> significant but it was working well and booting normally prior to
> memory upgrade(also ran scandisk, defrag, ad-aware, spybot,
> avg-antivirus)
> Had been able to enter bios (CTRL-F10; note F10 alone wouldn't work)
> and record settings the day before I upgraded memory.
> Note: The owners of this computer have deleted all folders on D:
> system_Sav drive and many other folders that were compaq related on C:
> drive.
>
> Have taken out pci card -modem
> 64MB original memory has never left it's original slot so I'd like to
> assume this memory is still good. note that sticker says CL3
> The 256MB memory upgrade is:( PNY- brand);(100mHz- as some people wrote
> in newsgroups that 133Mhz wouldn't work); (double sided- I read that
> some people who were unsuccessful think this is the problem- Has
> anyone else had this problem?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your Compaq expertise.
> Mary
Anonymous
March 31, 2004 8:23:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

typically, this means that you put incompatable memory in the computer.
clearing the cmos wont help you here.

LC

"mary" <mtohall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:79e70934.0403310607.441e1861@posting.google.com...
> Attempt to upgrade memory in Presario 7478 has resulted no video, not
> booting, and unable to get back to previous functional computer.
>
> Symptoms- Drive lights come on, but never get to compaq logo- no post,
> no beeps
> Power supply fan working, cpu fan working,
> Have cleared cmos, removed battery overnight..expected this would be
> the magic bullet if it choked on the new memory. Now I need help -
> What's my next move?
> Is this normal, and I have to use Emergency Startup floppy (made it on
> the computer prior to upgrade)? No video seems problematic for all the
> fix-its I know. And what's with the no beeping? Had expected to
> decipher beep codes.
> Do I add PCI Video Card? Flash BIOS? Is this the result of "shared
> video memory" since this computer has onboard video?
>
> I've built my own P4 and PII before that; I've upgraded memory on an
> AMDK6 compaq laptop without incident; Would prefer not to think it's
> ESD, or zapped hardware- or only as a last resort.
>
> Computer notes- Owners said problems began when installed Kazaa.
> Computer was only booting into safe-mode when I received it; had the
> bios date as current date; many BSOD; re-installed windows from
> C:\Windows\Options\CABs folder, and few other changes which might be
> significant but it was working well and booting normally prior to
> memory upgrade(also ran scandisk, defrag, ad-aware, spybot,
> avg-antivirus)
> Had been able to enter bios (CTRL-F10; note F10 alone wouldn't work)
> and record settings the day before I upgraded memory.
> Note: The owners of this computer have deleted all folders on D:
> system_Sav drive and many other folders that were compaq related on C:
> drive.
>
> Have taken out pci card -modem
> 64MB original memory has never left it's original slot so I'd like to
> assume this memory is still good. note that sticker says CL3
> The 256MB memory upgrade is:( PNY- brand);(100mHz- as some people wrote
> in newsgroups that 133Mhz wouldn't work); (double sided- I read that
> some people who were unsuccessful think this is the problem- Has
> anyone else had this problem?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your Compaq expertise.
> Mary
Related resources
April 2, 2004 9:24:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<FvWdnZiMHNtwevfdRVn-sA@comcast.com>...
> I guess I have to ask the obvious question first. You did take out the new
> stick and see if it boots, right?
>
Yes, Removed the new memory and tried to boot with the old memory. (I
realized after I posted that I forgot to mention that)
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 3:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I'm stuck. Without seeing it, this one is hard to diagnose.

Tom
"mary" <mtohall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:79e70934.0404020524.238e6299@posting.google.com...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:<FvWdnZiMHNtwevfdRVn-sA@comcast.com>...
> > I guess I have to ask the obvious question first. You did take out the
new
> > stick and see if it boots, right?
> >
> Yes, Removed the new memory and tried to boot with the old memory. (I
> realized after I posted that I forgot to mention that)
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 3:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

This may sound simplistic, but I just had this happen to a client who
installed his own NIC card on his home system.. Check to see if all of the
cards are fully seated. That was all it took to fix the clients machine.
It seems that when he put in the NIC card, in pressing down to seat it her
unseated the already installed cards. For a one hour service call All I did
was make sure all of the cards were reseated, powered it up and it worked
just fine.

KC

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:UaOdnQIRwJWuBvDdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> I'm stuck. Without seeing it, this one is hard to diagnose.
>
> Tom
> "mary" <mtohall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:79e70934.0404020524.238e6299@posting.google.com...
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:<FvWdnZiMHNtwevfdRVn-sA@comcast.com>...
> > > I guess I have to ask the obvious question first. You did take out the
> new
> > > stick and see if it boots, right?
> > >
> > Yes, Removed the new memory and tried to boot with the old memory. (I
> > realized after I posted that I forgot to mention that)
>
>
April 8, 2004 2:07:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

This problem was resolved by a can of compressed air (and the magic
words "I need help here"). I've seen dusty motherboards - this was
not like any of them. This one had just a little dust around the
processor.

Had previously tried booting after re-seating original memory ;
booting with no monitior connected, then no memory hoping for error
codes or beeping (even plugged in the speakers & turned them on so I
might hear beeping, doh)

The incompatible memory has been returned. This presario 7478 is
booting with the original 64MB as if nothing ever happened. I haven't
been able to get into the bios setup with F10 or Ctrl-F10 but
considering I was looking at replacing the system board&/or processor,
I'm not complaining.
Thanks to all who took the time to respond- it helped.
-Mary
April 8, 2004 7:35:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

For compatible memory for your 7478, try:
http://www.crucial.com
Stick with the PC100 RAM
HH

"mary" <mtohall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:79e70934.0404080907.cc9afc9@posting.google.com...
> This problem was resolved by a can of compressed air (and the magic
> words "I need help here"). I've seen dusty motherboards - this was
> not like any of them. This one had just a little dust around the
> processor.
>
> Had previously tried booting after re-seating original memory ;
> booting with no monitior connected, then no memory hoping for error
> codes or beeping (even plugged in the speakers & turned them on so I
> might hear beeping, doh)
>
> The incompatible memory has been returned. This presario 7478 is
> booting with the original 64MB as if nothing ever happened. I haven't
> been able to get into the bios setup with F10 or Ctrl-F10 but
> considering I was looking at replacing the system board&/or processor,
> I'm not complaining.
> Thanks to all who took the time to respond- it helped.
> -Mary
!