defrag doesnt work

Defrag used to work. Now it doesnt. I click to defrag and all I get is a
black box appearing (like a dos prompt), for about 1 second and then it
disappears. How do I get defrag to work again?

It's in the start menu, but nothing works for me.

Try this: Start > Run and in the text box paste this:

%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc

then click OK. If that works, replace the shortcut in the Start menu with
the line above. Right-click on the shortcut for Disk Defragmenter and select
Properties. Paste the line into the 'Target' box and click OK.

Ted Zieglar

"juicejox3@msn.com" <juicejox3@msn.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:01B1E8F4-8C04-454D-ACEE-DDCAB48495F8@microsoft.com...
> Defrag used to work. Now it doesnt. I click to defrag and all I get is a
> black box appearing (like a dos prompt), for about 1 second and then it
> disappears. How do I get defrag to work again?
>
> It's in the start menu, but nothing works for me.

If this occurred after installing SP2 try this:Restore the Windows
Defragmenter
http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2004/01/18/defrag.aspxYou may have
to do every step before it works. I have implemented this and I know it
works.Good Luck. Report back here on the results."juicejox3@msn.com"

"