Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Hi all,

I couldn't wait any longer, so I went out and picked up a Rio Nitrus today. Since it only has a 90 day warranty, I purchased the extended warranty for 3 years from Futureshop.

THe unit is about as small as harddrive based mp3 players get. THe form factor is very nice since it slips into my pocket very easily. The sound quality is definitely top notch. I had to upgrade it's firmware to get rid of the occassional transfer errors. Also, the included music management software isn't as good as I'd like to be. Hopefully they will come out with a winamp plug-in for player syncronization.

Overall, I really like this player. I will post a little more detail after I play with it for a while.

Ming

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Heeh, congrats that you like it. I bought the Rio Karma, (20gb version of your thing, with a bigger display, but the user interface is still the same.) So far I like it. Only problem I have on it is that sometimes ID3 tag info would repeat itself, i.e. same artist would show up twice.

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I've got no problems w/ mine ID3 Tag display. Maybe upgrading the firmware would help??

After my purchase, I've gotten used to the concept that less is more. LOL...I have a hard time picking out what I want to hear on my PC, so I only have my favouriate songs on the 1.5 gig plaer, and the choices aren't very difficult then :)

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
The way I look at it, for 100 bucks, I got 18.5 more gb of space. In other words, the Karma was a better deal if it is within one's budget.

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I sometimes wish I had more space, but I went to Futureshop to look at the Ipod after my purchase, and decided it was much too large and heavy for my purposes :)

I use it mostly for the GYM, and running. I dont really listen to music when I study, and the Ipod was way out of my budget for a portable music player :'(

I do agree that most people, when they can afford it, should opt for either the Karma or Ipod due to the extra space.

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Long story short, my Karma's harddrive broke. (this seems to be a normal occurance) Thankfully I could return it and got a full refund. I went ahead and purchased a iRiver IHP-120 and though it costs slightly more than I had planned, it is worth every penny. Much more features, and I could browse using directory structure vs. ID3 tags (Mine are a mess).

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Man that really sucks. I purchased a 3 year exchange warranty from Futureshop with my Nitrus. I agree with Rio players lack features in terms of file organization and browsing. I fixed most of the ID3 Tags of my mp3s, and I have all my songs organized into play lists.

Good luck with the iRiver!!

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
The thing is that the crappy Circuit City exchange plan can only be used once, and the Harddrive issue is a very frequent problem in the Karma, and probably that new Archos Gmini too, since it uses the same harddrive). So far I like my iRiver a lot more than my Karma, though the Karma seems to be slightly smaller and easier to use, but I'm not complaining. Have fun with your nitrus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS