Soyo K7V Dragon Boot up problem

TNC10284

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Hello. Almost every time my system freezes up or crashes with a Fatal Exception and I hit the reset button, when the system is restarting, Win 98 will stop and the only thing on the screen will be a little red box with a smaller yellow flashing box and yellow flashing line in that little red box. When I hit reset again, the system will not boot with no Green power LED, only the Red hard drive LED. Now, when I cut the system off by using the switch on the back of the power supply, After leaving the system off for a few minutes, the Green Power LED will finally decide to come back on. When It gets to Windows 98, the Video is all screwed up. 640x480 with only 16 colors. It says that there is a problem with my video display. The only way to fix it is to reinstall Detonator XP drivers each time it does it or if you keep restarting the system the video will fix. But the little red box still appears every time you boot it up after a shut down and it will not get past that red box. When it happens, I haven't changed any settings. It happens after the system freezes or crashes to where I have to reset or cut off the system. I'm using the latest VIA 4in1's 4.33. The mobo BIOS is up to date. The system will run fine when it will actually boot up, but each time you shut it down this problem happens all over again. One odd thing though, when I change the onboard USB ports to "all enabled" I restart and check back in the BIOS and they have been switched to "All disabled". I have two built on the motherboard and two 10pin connectors on the motherboard for a total of 6 USB ports, I just need two USB motherboard connectors to utilize the other 4. One more thing. After I turn the switch off on the back of the ATX power supply and then I flip it back on the system will power up like i've pushed the power button on the front of the case, why does it do this? Should I have this board replaced? Please help! Thanks,
Tavis Curry

In the control panel, under system, check the device manager for red or yellow exclamation points. If you see one next to a device, it means you have a conflict. Start by removing and devices that have one of these marks next to them. Then reboot, and let windows try to re-install the device. If you continue to see conflicts in the device manager, you may have to manually install a driver for one of the devices, or change the settings under properties.