"error" autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

October 25, 2004 12:39:07 PM

running windows XP ...had to remove SP2 due to conflict with some of my
programs. System was up and running for about a day when after doing defrag
and formatting my slave drive system did restart boots up until Master Boot
record hits checkdisk....tehn posts above message ...rebooots....reboots

have searched knowledge base to fix(rather complicated if you dont have
norton disc editor), wondering if I do a "fixmbr" or "fix boot" in system
recovery if it would correct? If not can I reinstall Windows XP disc and
possibly do a new partiion.
Biggest problem is I have file data/ programs that are not easily replaced
or duplicated..after formatting my slave drive (with all of my backup info) I
did not have time to restore before this lovely event occured
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 8:53:57 PM

Sounds like a "hidden NTFS" parition

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-7746.html

http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/187...

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22error%22++autochk+pro...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:70C8C0AF-E730-411A-AE6F-4B65F2B973D8@microsoft.com,
ol_school <ol_school@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> running windows XP ...had to remove SP2 due to conflict with some of
> my programs. System was up and running for about a day when after
> doing defrag and formatting my slave drive system did restart boots
> up until Master Boot record hits checkdisk....tehn posts above
> message ...rebooots....reboots
>
> have searched knowledge base to fix(rather complicated if you dont
> have norton disc editor), wondering if I do a "fixmbr" or "fix boot"
> in system recovery if it would correct? If not can I reinstall
> Windows XP disc and possibly do a new partiion.
> Biggest problem is I have file data/ programs that are not easily
> replaced or duplicated..after formatting my slave drive (with all of
> my backup info) I did not have time to restore before this lovely
> event occured
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 1:33:02 AM

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Sounds like a "hidden NTFS" parition
>
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-7746.html
>
> http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/187...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22error%22++autochk+pro...
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:70C8C0AF-E730-411A-AE6F-4B65F2B973D8@microsoft.com,
> ol_school <ol_school@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > running windows XP ...had to remove SP2 due to conflict with some of
> > my programs. System was up and running for about a day when after
> > doing defrag and formatting my slave drive system did restart boots
> > up until Master Boot record hits checkdisk....tehn posts above
> > message ...rebooots....reboots
> >
> > have searched knowledge base to fix(rather complicated if you dont
> > have norton disc editor), wondering if I do a "fixmbr" or "fix boot"
> > in system recovery if it would correct? If not can I reinstall
> > Windows XP disc and possibly do a new partiion.
> > Biggest problem is I have file data/ programs that are not easily
> > replaced or duplicated..after formatting my slave drive (with all of
> > my backup info) I did not have time to restore before this lovely
> > event occured
>
> Wes...great info..read with intent..
several problems exist. PTEDIT was bought out by Norton..found old archived
program from tech forums (very extensive search involved) and downloaded vrs.
1.
at :http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffpgl/Downloads.htm. You mention that it has
hidden partion should be type 17 NTFS...and to change to hex0x.07. This
version shows my partition type as "44" (not on their dropdown list). could
not find anywhere to look for hex #'s. to change. balance of my drive types
were 00 or free drive. I was a tad bit afraid to change that partiition type
to 17. Screen shots of the program, and how to manuver through sections may
have decreased the anxiety level of changing my master boot.:>o
Only other thing I tried was doing a reinstall of XP disc...hoping it would
detect C:\windows installation and ask to repair same.... got through to
detecting 2 partitiions on drive (you were correct) don't know how it had 2 I
have only installled on this ops system once. Rather than install or delete
wrong one I backed out to read some more...gettting my semi-anal windows
training lessons.
A bit of history:Currently running 2 CPUs with primary and slave
drives...each had their own op sys (all XP) Have been working on dvd's mostly
captured VHS, dig 8 and scanned pics. Tried to keep larger drives for this
and smaller(80 and 120 gig) for my other work. Studio recommended having one
main and one storage drive. As new program and updates were crashing my old
way I decided to conform to their philosophy. Updated to SP2 then all hell
happened ...I have my sons wedding coming up next week in Fl., their wedding
DVD to be played at their reception kept crashing. This is when I uninstalled
SP2 (Studio knowledge base says Houston there is a problem here). Got system
up and running again on SP1...started taking files from one to the
other....had just formatted my 160 gig to nada to drop new files back down
on storage when this error happened. Currently on my other CPU again dual
drive (one op system) and its working, but still crashes studio 9+haha with a
visual C++ error... but they are working on a fix......unfortunately most of
my working info was on my other putor as are my wifes payroll folders, inv.
programs, my training files etc etc yada yada. now you know. good news is I
have one version of DVD for wedding...not to my liking, but it works....I do
have a working computor station (minus some of my important files) that
Norton Go back says does not recognize my hard drives when I swap them with
each other to see if files were in tact!... so time (for awhile) is on my
side nerves been shattered before so I wait!
I do appreciate your time...I may have to purchase Norton product so I can
get a newer copy of PTedit.
tkx
October 27, 2004 11:15:28 AM

When you boot do you get a black screen Boot menu with two Windows XPs to
choose from?

I don't understand all of this autochk not found completely.

from one of the links...
[[If the message "autochk not found" is displayed but your computer
otherwise completes the boot process normally, you need to remove Windows XP
HotFix KB824105 in "add/remove programs".]]

To check the boot paths...
Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
Boot.ini tab | Check All Boot Paths button |
A dialog box will open detailing the location of any invalid operating
system locations | Confirm you want to remove the entry and reboot

[[Check All Boot Paths - This button will check the boot paths for all
operating systems listed in the BOOT.INI to ensure they point to a valid
operating system. ]]

Msconfig image
http://www.winnetmag.com/Files/16/20784/msconfig.gif

If there is only one you will get:
It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1DF0C960-1693-4A4D-BC94-363565790BFF@microsoft.com,
> [...]
> the other....had just formatted my 160 gig to nada to drop new files
> back down on storage when this error happened. Currently on my
> other CPU again dual drive (one op system) and its working, but still
> crashes studio 9+haha with a visual C++ error... but they are working
> on a fix......unfortunately most of my working info was on my other
> putor as are my wifes payroll folders, inv. programs, my training
> files etc etc yada yada. now you know. good news is I have one
> version of DVD for wedding...not to my liking, but it works....I do
> have a working computor station (minus some of my important files)
> that Norton Go back says does not recognize my hard drives when I
> swap them with each other to see if files were in tact!... so time
> (for awhile) is on my side nerves been shattered before so I wait!
> I do appreciate your time...I may have to purchase Norton product so
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:45:06 PM

Wes,
If you don't understand the autochecks thing...hell how do you think I feel
then? ha

NO..I guess when I did things I bypassed the norm of installing 2 op sys
with Windows idea of how to do it. Are you ready for this.....I installed XP
on my regular "C" drive...no problem. I then go into bios and select none
for primary hard drive...windows then opens the other op sys on what was my
slave drive now made my primary. Although I have no access to drive "C" at
this time I have a clean install drive "D" that I ran my studio programs on.
When I desire to go back to drive "C" I shutdown- redo the bios function to
auto detect...it then loads my primary "C" and slave "D" hard drive. I can
then if needed copy and paste files to either. Seems un-ethical approach,
but has always worked fine. Don't know why I chose this over reccomended.
Actually I do ...Studio is a memory- fluid file transfer- demanding
product... during "rendering" the fewer programs that were running in the
background the better and more reliable (less errors and failures) it ran.
Rather than run "enditall" or another task killing program I just loaded up
the programs I needed on the "D" drive keeping it clean of other programs. I
boosted my power supply, added extra cooling fans to keep it cooler.
Rendering a 30 minute (2.5gig) program used to go several hours+ at 100% CPU
use....during that time you wanted nothing else trying to operate in the
background. They have improved the program alot since then with real time
rendering etc, but it still needs to be the only product running to minimize
problems. Probably explains how I ended up with a dual NTFS partition
though. Several years ago I did run multiple op systems with Win 95 and win
98, then to XP etc...black screen on start up choosing which op sys I wanted
to run.
I did buy the Norton partition magic today with PTedit vrs. 8....it appears
exacly the same as my old free version 1 with several more types of drives
listed in the pull down column.....STILL NO "44"...heck it goes into the 80's
skipping 44. Still have no idea how to get to the hex 0x17 etc. I have gone
through ..highlighted changed some values....most of the functions in the
bottom menu are grayed out.
here is an idea of what it says( be visual) I am painting a screen shot for
you:
top left:
Drive 1 (76316 MB) 9729 cyl, 255 heads, 63 sectors per track

below this are 4 vertical rows numbered 1-4 with horizontal boxes for info
to be placed. Headings across top of each row from left to right are: with
corresponding data followed by row 2,3,4 data
type: 44 type 2, 3, 4, all 00
boot: 80 2,3,4 all 00
starting cyl: 0 (all 0's)
head: 1 2,3,4, all 0's
sector: 1 2,3,4 all 0
ending cyl: 1 2,3,4 all 0
head: 254 2,3,4 all 0
sector: 63 2,3,4 all 0
sectors before: 63 2,3,4, all 0
sectors: 156280257 2,3,4 all 0

middle bottom of menu: Partition Information (when type 44 highlighted) says
bootable 76308 MB

all other partitan types highlighted shows freespace

If I change row one type from "44" to "17" partition information changes
to: Hidden IFS(NTFS,HPFS) bootable, 76308 MB

I then have option to save or disregard changes. no hex 0x17 anywhere.
and that is where it sits! ;>0

AGAIN APPRECIATE YOUR TIME
OL_SCHOOL
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:58:04 AM

Wes.......I finally grew some and decided to use PTEDIT to change the type
file "44" to "07". Again it did not show that file type in either PTEDIT ot
Norton Partition Magic....anyway changed it to type 07 (installable NTFS file
type)..crossed my fingers and rebooted....to my surprise all is (appears to
be) working fine....Backtracking now I think Norton Go-Back may be the one
who attaches type 44...my other computor has the same file type...I am
surprised Partition Magic did not recognize its fellow program type. I may
have disabled go-back on the desk (doing something) ..maybe still using
enditall from before and had not rebooted when problem occurred. Normally
Go-Back shows itself in initial boot prior to XP starting..it was not coming
up! Anyway I do appreciate your time...and Knowledge working with this
problem. Hope some of my problem can help someone else!
Thanks again
Bud (ol_school)

"Ol_school" wrote:

> [...]
> to be placed. Headings across top of each row from left to right are: with
> corresponding data followed by row 2,3,4 data
> type: 44 type 2, 3, 4, all 00
> boot: 80 2,3,4 all 00
> starting cyl: 0 (all 0's)
> head: 1 2,3,4, all 0's
> sector: 1 2,3,4 all 0
> ending cyl: 1 2,3,4 all 0
> head: 254 2,3,4 all 0
> sector: 63 2,3,4 all 0
> sectors before: 63 2,3,4, all 0
> sectors: 156280257 2,3,4 all 0
>
> middle bottom of menu: Partition Information (when type 44 highlighted) says
> bootable 76308 MB
>
> all other partitan types highlighted shows freespace
>
> If I change row one type from "44" to "17" partition information changes
> to: Hidden IFS(NTFS,HPFS) bootable, 76308 MB
>
> I then have option to save or disregard changes. no hex 0x17 anywhere.

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 4:02:34 PM

Bud,

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes two heads *are* better then one.

Keep having fun! ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes