Start - Search no longer works

I just upgraded my Windows XP workstation to Service Pack 2. I have a
stragest thing happening. When I click on Start - Search, nothing happens.
No window opens. I see nothing indicating a problem in the Event Viewer.
However - when I open My Computer or IE6 and click on Search, the Search
window opens up. This is one of those annoying problems that I cannot seem
to find a fix for. ANyone ever seen this before? I really don't want to
rebuild this machine. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about start search longer works

    Hi

    Please try the following:

    "Why doesn't Search work?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Matt" <Matt @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just upgraded my Windows XP workstation to Service Pack 2. I have a
    > stragest thing happening. When I click on Start - Search, nothing
    > happens.
    > No window opens. I see nothing indicating a problem in the Event Viewer.
    > However - when I open My Computer or IE6 and click on Search, the Search
    > window opens up. This is one of those annoying problems that I cannot
    > seem
    > to find a fix for. ANyone ever seen this before? I really don't want to
    > rebuild this machine. Thanks.

    Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the solution, but the same thing
    happens. Start - Search does not work. Its very strange. If I right-click
    on the Start Button and select Search, that does not work either. It only
    works if I open My Computer or IE6.

    Any other ideas?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following:
    >
    > "Why doesn't Search work?"
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Matt" <Matt @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just upgraded my Windows XP workstation to Service Pack 2. I have a
    > > stragest thing happening. When I click on Start - Search, nothing
    > > happens.
    > > No window opens. I see nothing indicating a problem in the Event Viewer.
    > > However - when I open My Computer or IE6 and click on Search, the Search
    > > window opens up. This is one of those annoying problems that I cannot
    > > seem
    > > to find a fix for. ANyone ever seen this before? I really don't want to
    > > rebuild this machine. Thanks.

    That did not work. This is only happening on my workstation. Never seen
    anything like this.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following:
    >
    > "Why doesn't Search work?"
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Matt" <Matt @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just upgraded my Windows XP workstation to Service Pack 2. I have a
    > > stragest thing happening. When I click on Start - Search, nothing
    > > happens.
    > > No window opens. I see nothing indicating a problem in the Event Viewer.
    > > However - when I open My Computer or IE6 and click on Search, the Search
    > > window opens up. This is one of those annoying problems that I cannot
    > > seem
    > > to find a fix for. ANyone ever seen this before? I really don't want to
    > > rebuild this machine. Thanks.

Windows XP