Sign in with
Your question

Anand is telling another story!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2001 9:59:02 PM

Anand is telling another story!

AnandTech is claiming that SIS645 + DDR333 is faster than i850 + RDRAM even if they use a DDR333 memory at CLK2.5 (the one used in Tom's test is CLK2). I think Tom has neglected some bios details; also Anand is saying that this board is NOT tuned for performance and that we should expect greater performance from the final product. I will just quote Tom:

"It had to stand up against the fastest representatives of the i850, P4X266 and i845 chipsets, which were also tuned to maximum performance."

That means that SIS645 was tuned for performance? I think only the commercial MB version will tell which one is better: i850+RDRAM or SIS645+DDR333. Sandra Memory Bandwith is not very impressive for SIS; probably the controller can be improved; if they will use only 2 DDR sockets in the final version they may be able to better tune the board.

ANAND = www.anandtech.com

Razvan

More about : anand telling story

October 8, 2001 11:20:11 PM

No offense, but you forgot to come to a point at the end. Are you saying that Anand is lying? Or Tom is a hypocrite? Or that pizza wasn't originally made in Italy?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 9, 2001 12:39:42 AM

I read the article at Anand too.
It's interesting to note these small differences in the benchmarks results between Anand and Tom.
Of course, you can't take any conclusions without knowing exactly all the variables used in both tests.
Related resources
October 9, 2001 1:58:28 AM

...and this is why we read more than one hardware review site.
If you expect every reviewer to get the same results on every benchmark every time, you're always going to be disappointed, there's just to many factors.
I would like to make two points.
1) In both Anand's and Tom's review, the SiS 645 chipset performed very closely to the 850.
2) Both reviewers came to the same conclusion, that the SiS 645 is a great product but they had better make sure the motherboard makers pick it up quickly if they want it to be a success.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2001 2:13:54 AM

Wasn't the part of the THG article talking about what a shame it was that SiS missed their opportunity?

"BetaMax bummed me out too"
October 9, 2001 8:14:59 AM

"If you expect every reviewer to get the same results on every benchmark every time, you're always going to be disappointed, there's just to many factors."

Certainly I don't expect that. My point is: if SIS645+DDR333 is 2% better than i850 then it is quite important to remember it that way: BETTER. Most of the time there is no time to explain that SIS645 delivers 92-98% from i850's performance for only a fraction from it's price; this is why, from the marketing point of view, I consider this classification important. The title "the best P4 MB" is much better than "a great P4 MB". I repeat: this is marketing stuff.

Razvan
October 9, 2001 10:22:22 AM

Couldn't you just say "It's as good as the i850's performance, at a lower price"? Even if it is 2% faster, I wouldn't go around claiming that "It's faster that the i850 chipset", the difference is just to small.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
!