ATI HotKey Poller Service - what is it?

A tech had me go to msconfig>services, hide Windows items and uncheck
everything left. One of the items was ATI HotKey Poller - I think by
unchecking it I disabled the service and would like to know what it is
and if it's necessary. Also, I saw it in my Event Viewer saying it
stopped at a time I had a major problem with Windows.

Does unchecking things in msconfig>services disable the services or
just stop them from loading at start-up? (because there's a few more
items unchecked.)

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

--
Libra

The ATI HotKey Poller is part of the video driver for your ATI-based video
card. To learn its exact purpose, contact ATI technical support. Judging by
the name alone, I would guess that it enables the various key combinations
supported by your video card.

Unchecking entries in msconfig > startup prevents them from loading at
startup. In this way, msconfig is useful for troubleshooting: If you believe
that something loading at startup may be causing a problem, but you don't
know what exactly, you uncheck all the items in the startup tab and then
restart your computer. If whatever problem you were having is now resolved,
you put the checkmark back in each item, one at a time, and restart your
computer again until you arrive at the particular entry that causes the
problem. Now that you know what causes the problem, you can work on a
solution.

The correct way to permanently prevent something from starting with Windows
is to go into the program's menus and turn off that feature. Msconfig
interferes with a program's normal operation; that's why its used for
troubleshooting only.

Ted Zieglar

"Libra" <Libra.1epwoz@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> A tech had me go to msconfig>services, hide Windows items and uncheck
> everything left. One of the items was ATI HotKey Poller - I think by
> unchecking it I disabled the service and would like to know what it is
> and if it's necessary. Also, I saw it in my Event Viewer saying it
> stopped at a time I had a major problem with Windows.
>
> Does unchecking things in msconfig>services disable the services or
> just stop them from loading at start-up? (because there's a few more
> items unchecked.)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely, Libra
>

> --
> Libra

map

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

"Libra" <Libra.1epwoz@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> A tech had me go to msconfig>services, hide Windows items and uncheck
> everything left. One of the items was ATI HotKey Poller - I think by
> unchecking it I disabled the service and would like to know what it is
> and if it's necessary. Also, I saw it in my Event Viewer saying it
> stopped at a time I had a major problem with Windows.
>
> Does unchecking things in msconfig>services disable the services or
> just stop them from loading at start-up? (because there's a few more
> items unchecked.)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely, Libra
>

> --
> Libra

The ATI hotkey poller service enables keyboard control of the display
properties. Frankly, I've disabled the service from every ATI display
I've had since it adds nothing that is not already available from the
display properties; i.e., it's a complete waste of resources. AFIK,
there is no way to disable this service from the ATI control panel;
msconfig is as good as anything else for disabling it although you could
remove it from
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current_Version\Run