WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2

Re: HELP WITH XP SERVICE PACK 2

In: microsoft.public.windows.server.general

LAURIE M wrote:
> I am at my wits end.......I have never done a backup sucessfully.
> With the update for Service Pack 2 and stating its importance, I
> tried doing a backup and proceeded to load the SP2. It kept going for
> over 12 hours before it said it could not be installed.
>
> Needless to say, I could not restart the computer (less than a month
> and I thought I'd broke it). Upon calling Dell, we restarted
> it.......BUT I LOST ALL MY PERSONAL FILES. Dell told me not to try it
> again until the problems are corrected but yet I keep getting the
> message that it is very important to install the Service Pack 2 right
> away. If this is true, could some one guide me in the steps of doing
> a backup?
> is there anything else you should do before running the SP2?
> how to successfully load SP2?

Well, one should always back up critical data before doing an SP install. In
fact, one should back up data regularly anyway.

I suggest you post this in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. This
newsgroup is for Windows server issues. I think you'll get more help in an
XP group...

--
I AM STRUGGLING...........BUT I AM DETERMINED TO LEARN MY NEW DELL DIMENSION
8400 COMPUTER!!

    Where does it say this group is for Windows server issues?

    Bill Crocker

    "LAURIE M" <LAURIEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Re: HELP WITH XP SERVICE PACK 2
    >
    > In: microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >

    > LAURIE M wrote:
    >> I am at my wits end.......I have never done a backup sucessfully.
    >> With the update for Service Pack 2 and stating its importance, I
    >> tried doing a backup and proceeded to load the SP2. It kept going for
    >> over 12 hours before it said it could not be installed.
    >>
    >> Needless to say, I could not restart the computer (less than a month
    >> and I thought I'd broke it). Upon calling Dell, we restarted
    >> it.......BUT I LOST ALL MY PERSONAL FILES. Dell told me not to try it
    >> again until the problems are corrected but yet I keep getting the
    >> message that it is very important to install the Service Pack 2 right
    >> away. If this is true, could some one guide me in the steps of doing
    >> a backup?
    >> is there anything else you should do before running the SP2?
    >> how to successfully load SP2?
    >
    > Well, one should always back up critical data before doing an SP install.
    > In
    > fact, one should back up data regularly anyway.
    >
    > I suggest you post this in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. This
    > newsgroup is for Windows server issues. I think you'll get more help in an
    > XP group...
    >

    >> and I do mean simplified steps. Most "help" things are written for the
    >> "advanced" it seems.
    >>
    >> All help is appreciated. Thank you........
    >

    > --
    > I AM STRUGGLING...........BUT I AM DETERMINED TO LEARN MY NEW DELL
    > DIMENSION
    > 8400 COMPUTER!!
    > (and I am hoping my husband starts to understand how a computer can be
    > very
    > time consuming!!) Laurie M

Microsoft Windows XP