IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL- Possible hardware problem?

Splitter

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
I recently began receiving random reboots (usually linked to putting load on the system and have tried various reinstalls/driver configurations to no avail.
What i'd like to know is if this kind of error may indicate a hardware issue in the machine.
My machine spec is: 3200+ athlon xp. 512mb ballistix. abit-an7. geforce 6800 GT. audigy 2.
I'll lead you through whats been happening.

1) Began getting random reboots under load, thinking it may be a power issue i replaced the PSU. The machine seemed stable and then boom - it began again.

2) I had a poke around, only to discover the northbridge fan on my motherboard wasnt working (and by the looks of how clean it was probably never had worked). The board is 8 months old (yes i am kicking myself for not seeing this earlier).

3) Stuck a cooler on the northbridge, upon rebuilding the machine and powering it on both my pci cards (soundcard and LAN card) were both reporting that they didnt have enough resources to initialise. I eventually fixed this by switching the cards around in the slots.

4) And here i am, getting BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors (error 1003). The full error is: Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804e6d3f.

I have tested the memory, i found one stick was faulty and thats been RMA'd hence i only have the 512 at the moment. Ive ran prime95 for large amounts of time (i did get 1 error with this). Im thinking i have a hardware problem as ive not had this in the past and ive reinstalled xp 3 times in the last week, using different drivers as well. I've resolved all problems i was getting with a daemon tools and an nvidia chipset driver driver conflict. Im pulling my hair out here. I also know its not the soundcard as that was removed and the system was still unstable.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Splitter

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
If only it were that simple. Only one stick was reporting as fried and ive had confirmation from crucial that it was.... Surely if the northbridge was fried the other stick would show errors as well?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
What brand PSU and how many watts?

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Intel P4 Extreme(3.73)@<font color=green>5.6Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@DDR2 855

Splitter

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
Its a Thermaltake butterfly 480W. Should have plenty of power. I got a new mobo/cpu ordered and on its way.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
This error code doesnt automatically mean that the mobo or cpu is bad. ITs not an uncommon error code at all. Many times its due to the PSU. Im a big fan of Thermaltake, but the 480W like you have isnt one of their best PSU's. I have3 owned a few of them and never had one that was stable under load. What reading do you get on each rail.

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Wusy theres no way that you can determine that his chipset or Mobo is fried from his first post. You didnt even try any diagnostics before you told him that.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If the board is 8 months old and has made it this long then there is no way of determining that the fan has been down the whole time. The thing to have done would have been to somehow cooled the NB and see if that helped. His PSU could easily be the problem also.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
No joke. He has no idea how long the fan was out. If it was working for the biggest part of 8 months it could mean that the fan went out recently. Either way, why spend money on something before you do some testing that may end up producing a much cheaper solution

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

Splitter

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
Its not the PSU, i replaced the PSU and it continued. Ive troubledshooted in windows and resolved conflicts/changed drivers. Removed multiple pieces of hardware, tested the memory still no joy.

As for the length of time the fans been out, youre right that i dont know for sure how long. But for the first 4 months or so it was in a less than well filtered case and even in my new case dust still gets in (mainly through the crossflow fan). If this fan had been working it should have shown so signs of dust build up. I took it apart the other day, even the underside of the fins are spotless.

I've also added a new fan to the chipset, the errors have slowed down a little but still occur (just at more random times now it would seem).<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Splitter on 06/08/05 05:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I had a problem very similar to this. My system would randomly shut down and give errors that made no sense, etc. On mine, it turned out there was a crack in one of the traces on the MB; when the board heated up it either made the crack large enough to open that curuit, or there just plain wasn't enough passing through that circuit. Either way, it was the mb for me.

The only other situation I've seen like that turned out to be the CPU. It had been OC'd and tweeked so many times that it just plain wore out. I ran a stress test on that CPU and it failed pitifully. It was a 72hr test cyle and it never could get passed 4 or 5.
Hope something in that helped you.

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You could be having multiple problems. Back to the PSU. It doesnt make any difference if you replace a bad PSU with another bad PSU. I dont know for sure that this is the case, but I do know from experience that the 480W TT is almost always an under acheiver. It would be nice if you would go into BIOS and watch the RAILS and report the voltage fluctuations on each rail.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
There is some possibly related IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL info in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=51387#51387" target="_new">this thread</A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Also might wanna check out bits of <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=44622#44622" target="_new">this</A>.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

Splitter

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
Thanks for the help. In my case its turned out to be a faulty motherboard (probably due to the northbridge frying through lack of cooling). At least...its been running without a BSOD for almost a week.. :p