Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Placing a shortcut in the start menu

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 12:53:47 AM

Is it possible to place a shortcut (either via registry hack or program). I know I can pin things to the start menu but I want to make shortcuts like Computer, Documents.

I want to place something in the red box

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 7:00:55 AM

This is something I really, really missed in Windows 7 - I used to have a Start menu folder that cascaded out into all my standard shortcuts and documents. You can put shortcuts into the start menu (Start -> Right-click "All Programs" -> Open -> create shortcuts in the Start Menu folder), but they get merged into all of the other items in the list, which I found to be underwhelming.

What I eventually ended up doing was creating my own toolbar which I left collapsed - when I click on it I get my own cascading menus - sort of like a customized alternate Start Menu:

a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 7:11:27 AM

Open the start menu, right-click anywhere on the open area on the right, and click on Properties when it pops up. This takes you to the Taskbar and Start Menu properties menu. Click on the Start Menu tab, and click on Customize. Then scroll through the list and select "Display as a link" for all the items you want to see in the right-hand pane of the start menu.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 7:12:20 AM

@sminlal: Hope this helps you too.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 4:04:11 PM

I know those settigns unfortunatly I want to put a custom folder or application there, is it possible to route something my "My Recorded TV" to the Z drive (and have it display the new name?

Or have something lik the "Games" folder that can be placed there open remote desktop?

I dont know there there are registry keys that can be modified to do this.
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 4:14:55 PM

Herr_Koos said:
...select "Display as a link" for all the items you want to see in the right-hand pane
That's one of the of first things I do on any system - but it doesn't let me create a cascading menu of my own shortcuts as shown in my screenshot...
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 4:23:35 PM

Snipergod87 said:
is it possible to route something my "My Recorded TV" to the Z drive (and have it display the new name?
Open up the "Z:" drive so that you can see the "My Recorded TV" folder. Drag the folder over top of the "Start" button (you should see a "Pin to Start Menu" pop-up) and drop it. The folder will now appear on the Start menu.

The problem is that if you click the folder you'll get an Explorer window showing the folder contents rather than a cascading menu. The "Show xxxx as Link" options mentioned by Herr_Koos can only be set for specific Windows items such as Control Panel, I'm not aware of any way to set this for your own folders.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 4:55:15 PM

What i meant is when I click on something ie "my recorded TV" or "music" any shortcut to have to mapped to the Z: drive, I tried adding it as a folder in the library but wont work as it cannot be indexed as it is a network location. I know I cna pin stuff to the start menu but that is not what I desire.

Edit: I was able to change the name of "my recorded TV" by right clicking and properities (right now in the start menu it says blah)
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 30, 2010 5:10:54 PM

Snipergod87 said:
What i meant is when I click on something ie "my recorded TV" or "music" any shortcut to have to mapped to the Z: drive
Sorry, but I'm having some trouble understanding what you're trying to describe...

"My Recorded TV" - are these items that you've pinned to the Start menu or are they just folders on your "Z:" drive?

"any shortcut to have mapped to the Z: drive" - are you talking about shortcuts you created by right-clicking on a file and choosing "Create Shortcut"? Where exactly are these shortcuts located - on the Start menu or in a folder somewhere?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2010 2:01:38 PM

Best answer selected by Snipergod87.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2010 3:19:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!