In need of desperate HELP!!!

chaos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2001
I just fried my 2nd mobo because my jumper settings were wrong ( i didnt know i had to change them) Is there anybody who knows how to do this and could help me out or anybody who knows a good tutorial??? I would be extremely grateful. I cant afford to keep spending money on things that i break.

BTW i have an ECS p6vxm2 mobo with a 700mhz celeron processor (66mhz fsb, 1.7 volts, i dont know the multiplier)

is the formula for the multplier:

multiplier X FSB = clock speed?

sorry for the horrible structure of this post i thought it up as i went =)

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes the formula is correct.

<b>FSB:</b> It is the speed at which the processor communicates with external devices, that includes memory, the PCI and AGP controllers and other devices.
<b>Multiplier:</b> It is a factor by which the processor scales its external speed, to the speet at which it runs internally. This is a old trick used for not limiting the processor speed at what other components work.
<b>Clock Speed:</b> It is the frequency or speed at which the processor is rated. It is not possible to run all the hardware at hundreds of MHz in sync with the processor, but is possible on the tiny silicon die where the capacitive and inductive effects of components are on similar scales - tiny.

On Intel processor, P-III and Celron the multiplier is locked, set within the processor so you cannot really control it over the board or in BIOS. What you can really control with Intel processor is the FSB, but your motherboard needs to support such fine variations.

One thing to remember while overclocking Intel processors is that you just cannot get it to run at any FSB, since any change in FSB is affected by a change in processor frequency scaled by the multiplier. If you are overclocking your 700 MHz Celeron which has a multiplier of 10.5 and runs at a FSB of 66 MHz, you cant set the FSB directly to 100 MHz, that will run the processor at 1050 MHz!

you should do it slowly in 1 MHz incrememts, making sure your system is as stable as it was before overclocking. Remember every MHz of FSB you increase, your Celron will run 10.5 MHz faster.

to get higher multipliers successfully you might need to increase the CPU core voltage a bit, if your motherboard supports it, its a good idea to increase it by a quarter volt at higher FSB, say when you get you processor at around 900 MHz. And that increases its temperature. So if you are overclocking get a better cooling fan and heat sink, there are plenty of them available.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS