Sign in with
Your question

Bad Comany 2 reboots my system

Last response: in Video Games
October 19, 2011 10:23:00 PM

So I've been having a problem with not only my BC2 game crashing to desktop, which is usually the complaint i see with crashes relating to this game, but it reboots my PC.

Scenario: I will be playing a multiplayer game and at some point in the first 5-10 minutes the game will shut down with a 'buuuuuur' stuttering type sound and restart the computer.

What I've done: disabled my realtek onboard sound card and installed a new SB audigy. Disabled voice over IP in the game. Reinstalled the game. Turned down graphics to medium. upgraded from xp to windows 7.

Some of my specs: 3.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 250/Radeon X1950 Series/4G ram

I'm really at a loss as to what else to try???
October 19, 2011 11:47:45 PM

*update*

I decided to run CCC in the background to monitor the video card temps. Well, the gpu is shooting up to 100c in the first few mins of play. It probably only gets hotter which would explain why my pc shuts off after a small ammount of play time. Does this sound right? Would an overheated video card cause system shutdown/restart?
m
l
October 19, 2011 11:54:19 PM

Yes It would Cause a PC to Reboot/Shutdown. Same with a CPU

-Mithness
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2011 1:01:23 AM

Before you do anything make sure that nothing is blocking your video card inside the case, and that there isn't dust all on the inside of your case. If you have low ventilation in your case you might wanna leave your case door open or buy an after market cooler if your willing to put extra money into your GPU.

Also make sure your drivers are up to date, and you can also get something like core temp or MSI afterburner to either monitor and log your temps or lower your clock speeds to keep the temps down.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:58:55 AM

I had already added a more powerful fan onto my card but I cant get any fan regulators to work with it now for some reason. Well, I move some cables out of the way and opened the case and moved my case to a more ventilated spot and my temp went from 62c to 48c idle. When I played BC2 the temp after 10 mins was 71c. Then it went up to 83c. I kept playing and forgot to check it and it shut down again. It must have went up near the 100 mark again, but it still lasted a lot longer that before.
m
l
October 20, 2011 12:28:48 PM

You already added a fan to your card? DO you mean a new fan/heatsink like an aftermarket? If so check your screws and tighten them more. I did that once had same problems as you and sold the card on ebay as is...... a day after the buyer got it he said he just tightened the after market heatsink and it worked great.
Or if this is a case fan .....do what others said take the side of your case off, it sounds like the fan helped being you can play a little longer BUT the case as a whole is getting way to hot. Try taking the side panel off and see if this helps.

Also two other things I noticed ....BFBC2 is a very CPU intensive game. Could be that the OC on your cpu is unstable and your computer is shutting down due to your CPU not the GPU. (Just a thought)

Also that GPU is very old ...... might want to turn off/down all the eye candy you can to get to stable temps.

Or it could be that the OC on the CPU combined with the temps of the GPU are causing your case/mobo to heat up so much that it does a full reset.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:10:07 PM

BFBC2 overheated my PSU and shut down my computer as well, you got lucky that your computer boots again...i'm praying that only my PSU was damaged.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:11:30 PM

The ATI x19xx cards ran hot. Make sure there is not a wall of dust covering the heat sink on the near side. I've see this missed before when cleaning. Get an air compressor and blow air backwards to blast out the blanket of dust. If that is not the case, I have see these cards get hot after the thermal paste dries out. I've see this fixed by removing the heat sink, cleaning off the dried paste from the GPU with rubbing alcohol, and reapplying new paste. It can reduce the temps as much as 10C. I've personally see this happen.

does this have a stock cooler? If so which one is it? I believe there was a single slot and then a dual height cooler.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:23:26 PM

jay2tall said:
The ATI x19xx cards ran hot. Make sure there is not a wall of dust covering the heat sink on the near side. I've see this missed before when cleaning. Get an air compressor and blow air backwards to blast out the blanket of dust. If that is not the case, I have see these cards get hot after the thermal paste dries out. I've see this fixed by removing the heat sink, cleaning off the dried paste from the GPU with rubbing alcohol, and reapplying new paste. It can reduce the temps as much as 10C. I've personally see this happen.

does this have a stock cooler? If so which one is it? I believe there was a single slot and then a dual height cooler.

Ahhh yeah, I forgot about that these cards ran super hot. Id do like he said get compressed air or a vacuum and clean out everything, then take the side case off and if possible use a small fan and direct it at your case. If you dont crash its a heat/airflow issue. If it crashes then .....we have bigger problems. The heatsink thing would be good too ...but can be a pain in the butt and you can ruin your card.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:39:43 PM

^
Side off and a fan on it could help determine a video card heat issue as well, just monitor the temps. An OSD in game could help watch temps. You could install OCCT and run the GPU test which would be a more controlled test. It runs the card 100% and monitors temps and errors.

I know replacing the paste is a task to some people, and they are not comfortable with it. However, if its an old card it is possible. I had an x1900xtx and that thing hit high 90C all the time with stock cooling. I believe it hit 100C at times. As long as the heatsink can pull the heat away from the GPU it shouldn't be an issue though.
m
l
October 20, 2011 6:21:18 PM

Yes the fan and heatsink is an aftermarket (by that i presume you mean a custom job i bought myself and added it later). I actually upgraded the heatsink/fan to keep my temps down. It is noisy and when I moved my PC downstairs into my cold basement I put the stock fan back on as overheating wasnt an issue anymore. So i've just moved my pc back upstairs and that's why the issue has arisen again. I reapplied thermal paste/ case is wide open/looks pretty dust free but I think I will check to make sure screws are tight and there is definitely no more dust.
m
l
October 20, 2011 6:35:54 PM

So why not leave the aftermarket cooler on it? I know I put an aftermarket on my x1900xtx and it was a HUGE HUGE help. As in 20C cooler help.
m
l
October 20, 2011 7:51:37 PM

well I yeah, put the aftermarket back on it when I moved it upstairs
m
l
October 21, 2011 5:21:54 PM

I had a similar problem -- there is a problem with Bad Company 2 and some hardware monitoring tools (in my case After Burner) Such that after about 15-30 minutes of gameplay the screen would freeze, sound would freeze (with the same "burrrrrr" noise) and I'd have to hard reboot

For me it was an issue of taking MSI Afterburner out of my startup, in my research there is an issue with BC2/PunkBuster/Afterburner somewhere. It's a known problem.

Sucks too because I love MSI after burner used to overclock my 6950 voltage and core speed. After I took that off the startup list I could play for hours.
m
l
!