Sign in with
Your question

Constant crashes with new system

Last response: in Video Games
October 20, 2011 2:34:31 AM

Hey Everybody,

I just recently built a brand new system and it is working excellent... save for when playing games. It seems any game I play after a while the game will crash. This happens with MMOs (Rift, Lotro, EQ2), RPGs (Mass Effect 2, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, NV) pretty much anything I try.

It's not crashing the computer at all just the game. I've tried running as admin, checking temps of the gpu and cpu, even tried a 4gb patch because I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Nothing seems to fix this issue.

Can you guys think of anything I'm not already thinking of?

System:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s
Processor: Intel i5 2500k - no overclock
Processor Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Evo
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 TI Superclocked - No overclock Also tried Geforce GTX 260 - same results
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92
HDs: Seagate 500GB 6.0Gb/s x 2 (no raid), Seagate 350 GB 3.0Gb/s

Thanks for your help!
October 20, 2011 9:27:30 AM

when exactly does it crash?
m
l
October 20, 2011 9:29:08 AM

Completely remove your GPU drivers and install them again!
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2011 2:20:36 PM

I would install OCCT and start running the tests on there (http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/). They have a CPU test and GPU test. It would at least determine which one is the cause. I always run this on new builds. The one build I didn't run it on I found out 2 months later there was a GPU issue.

It could also be a memory issue. MemTest86+ would be something good to run as well, (http://www.memtest.org/)
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:30:29 PM

Since its a fresh build ....Id try sweeping drivers. I would have said it was the video card but the swap proves me wrong. Could be alot of things. Id check temps on CPU and GPU as previously mentioned and go from there.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:36:03 PM

New build issues can be a pain to diagnose. My current build had a CPU issue, but only effected memory. I thought it was the mobo and had that replaced, no go. Swapped out RAM with a buddy, no go. I ended up determining it was the built on memory controller on the i7's (new at the time). CPU replacement and all is well for over 2.5 years. It crashed in games, and while watching video's. It was also very slow doing certain desktop tasks.

The best thing to do it try and make it crash doing certain diagnostic items that are hard on certain components. A game is hard on the entire system, so it's not a good tool.
m
l
October 20, 2011 4:21:29 PM

jay2tall said:
New build issues can be a pain to diagnose. My current build had a CPU issue, but only effected memory. I thought it was the mobo and had that replaced, no go. Swapped out RAM with a buddy, no go. I ended up determining it was the built on memory controller on the i7's (new at the time). CPU replacement and all is well for over 2.5 years. It crashed in games, and while watching video's. It was also very slow doing certain desktop tasks.

The best thing to do it try and make it crash doing certain diagnostic items that are hard on certain components. A game is hard on the entire system, so it's not a good tool.

+1 What he said...
m
l
!