Sign in with
Your question

CD based tool to copy NTFS partion

Last response: in Windows XP
June 8, 2005 9:44:02 AM

Hi
I'm trying to backup the c:\ partition from my laptop to my desktop. I can't do this while the laptop is running since there are open file handels preventing some files from being copied. Therefore im looking for a bootable cd image that i can use to copy all the files from an ntfs patition to another pc on my network or an external drive.
Anyone know if such a tool exits (free of course)

thanks jc

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.
June 8, 2005 6:41:44 PM

Try using Windows XP backup program.. It'll copy opened files.. but it won't do a file for file type copy.. it'll create it's own image file.
June 8, 2005 9:44:58 PM

Couldn't you use Knoppix to do that?
Just a thought.

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 9, 2005 3:33:04 AM

Are you planning on having the desktop computer boot off the partition you copy over? or is this just for a backup?
I sincerely doubt the desktop will boot off that laptops install.
Best way: Symantec Ghost
Free way: Linux live CD like knoppix and make the ntfs volume a samba share or just use ssh to copy it over.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
June 9, 2005 8:33:30 AM

I was hoping to get the desktop partition to boot with the laptop files. i was hopeing to be able to tweak the files but i might just end up with a BSOD

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
June 9, 2005 2:38:24 PM

I can almost 100% guarentee that it will BSOD. To copy a bootable partition over the network you will need to use symantec ghost.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
June 10, 2005 12:59:58 PM

It'll BSOD.. The best I've seen done with imaging computers with different hardware (ACPI - HAL) is to go within Device Manager and change your ACPI to a different HAL.. I forget the other 3 options you get, but one will *sometimes* work on different motherboards, really depending on the chipsets and such.

Mainly useful for when dell upgrades or changes a Dimension 4600 to a 4700.. slight changes, but the image can sometimes still be useful.

For you, this is useless though. I just like to talk.
June 10, 2005 1:15:16 PM

I've seen a reference to missing hal file when xp fails to boot. in my case it was caused when i used the backup tool in xp to copy the "live" partition to another drive. the file had an open file handel assiocated with it so it didn't copy. d o you think if i overwrite the (laptop)hal with hal from ther machine im running i might make some progress ?

thanks jc

June 13, 2005 1:55:15 PM

I doubt it.. but you could try it. Windows, when installed, is based off that HAL. If that HAL doesn't mesh with what Windows installed off, BSOD.

So when you do the trick I stated, Windows *should* switch back to the ACPI HAL and continue working. But it's still a fine art and a lot of headaches.

You could try yours, but with Laptops installing so much different than a desktop, you're better off starting from scratch.

No one wants to hear that, but with a little work you'll be back in business.
June 19, 2005 12:06:52 PM

There are any number of tools to do drive imaging. The bottom line is that the laptop image won't boot from a partition on the desktop system. You MIGHT get away with running somnething like Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 to hold the drive image, but that's something I haven't tried, yet, so I won't tell you it'll work.

Also, I'm not really sure WHY you would want to run the laptop image. The files and data can all be copied to the desktop unit, so the only difference might be the OS's actual software, like you were running WIn 98SE on the laptop and XP Pro on the desktop.

Oh, and on the subject of 'free', Knoppix is free, but for such a limited use, you can download a trial version of ANY of the tools [Acronis True Image 8, Ghost, etc.].

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peartree on 06/19/05 08:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!