Cannot start computer

When my friend switches on her computer she gets the following message:-

STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate the component}
This application has failed to start bexause winsrv was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

We found article ID 885523 on the Windows knowledge base which explains how
to deal with this, but we cannot follow the instructions given as the message
keeps appearing before the log on screen appears.

We have tried starting the computer in
"Last known good configuration"
Safe mode
Safe mode with command prompt

We have tried to do a repair reinstall of Windows XP but we cannot do this
as we cannot get past the blue screen

can anyone suggest how we can overcome this problem?

Thanking you in anticipation
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot start computer

    You might try un-plugging eveything except the video card from the computer.
    It is possible that one of your other cards is faulty and causing the
    problem, then try re-installing the software. The other thing that might be a
    problem is the hard drive itself. The MBR tracks could be corrupted and need
    reformatting (not easy).

    "lscatfish" wrote:

    > When my friend switches on her computer she gets the following message:-
    >
    > STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate the component}
    > This application has failed to start bexause winsrv was not found.
    > Re-installing the application may fix the problem.
    >
    > We found article ID 885523 on the Windows knowledge base which explains how
    > to deal with this, but we cannot follow the instructions given as the message
    > keeps appearing before the log on screen appears.
    >
    > We have tried starting the computer in
    > "Last known good configuration"
    > Safe mode
    > Safe mode with command prompt
    >
    > We have tried to do a repair reinstall of Windows XP but we cannot do this
    > as we cannot get past the blue screen
    >
    > can anyone suggest how we can overcome this problem?
    >
    > Thanking you in anticipation

Computers Microsoft Windows XP