HUGE problems with Abit BF6 MB...URGENT!!!

BillClark

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I have a system with the Abit-BF6 MB that was running fine, last week it all of a sudden wouldn't boot. It has a P3-600e in it that was running great. The whole boot process has now gone totally bonkers...sometimes I can boot it up and get into the CMOS, but most of the time it is just dead. No beeps, no video, nothing. I have to kill the power to the whole system from the PS because the power button doesn't work either. When I do that, I can pull the CMOS discharge jumper completely off, hit the power button and it will boot to where I can enter the CMOS and I get the following error on the screen: CMOS Checksum error - defualts loaded.. CPU is unworkable or has been changed. NOW I know the CPU is good...when I enter the Softmenu, the CPU Operating frequency is set to 266(66), If I change this to the correct setting of 650(100) and tell it to save and reboot...I again get a dead machine. Things are just totally screwed up and I'm thinking the entire MB is just wacked. Any suggestions that I can try??? I really need to get this resolved. PLEASE HELP!!

Bill Clark

G

Sounds like surge to your Mobo and the Cmos is half fried. It is however weird that you could still get in the Cmos and change stuff. I have had similar problem with the "CPU is unworkable or has been changed" but that was plainly due overclocking the CPU. Might actually consider changing your Cmos dude.