vgaoem.fon

I keep getting the following message:
Windows could not start. The following file is missing or
corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the
first screen to start repair. This happened after using
Windows XP Home for over a year.

I have repeatedly followed the instructions in:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315338

Expanding this file to \System results in it having
an fo_ extension. I copied it to Temp, renamed it
vgaoem.fon, then copied it back to \System and
\System32. My options are to do a repair reinstall
every day or to let my computer run. Either way I
can't do any updates as many of them require a system
restart.

--
Don't take life too serious 'cause it ain't nohow permanent. (Pogo)

simply renaming a fo_ file to fon will NOT solve the
problem. the fo_ file is com[pressed and the fon file is
NOT. When you used the "expand" command, did it tell you
that the expansion was successful? If not, then it
didn't do it right, or you issued the command wrong.

Yes! I got the message 1 file(s) expanded. I know it was from the XP CD as I
had renamed all instances of vgaoem.fon to vgaoem.old before following the
instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315338. Thank you for your
reply.