ATI HotKey Poller Service - what is it?

Thank you Ted for explaining what the ATI HotKey Poller is and the
proper way to use msconfig - startup tab.

The Tech had me go into msconfig and click on the SERVICES tab, check
hide Windows files, and then uncheck everything remaining. I don't
know what this did (it didn't help my boot-up time) but one program
wouldn't run and I checked in Admin - Services and that program had
been disabled! I set it to manual. Meanwhile, I noticed some items in
msconfig - "services" tab are unchecked but show "running", some aren't
running.

I don't know what unchecking these items did but I looked in control
panel, admin - services, and Zone Alarm and Vet Messenger (antivirus)
both say disabled. I have no idea what they might have said before.
Is this okay?
I wonder if she actually disabled everything that had been checked. (I
never wrote down what was checked).

After I got off with the tech, I went into a few security programs I
run and started them from within the programs themselves. They all
appear to be running. Is it okay that they are disabled in services
but are running?

I'm sorry for all these questions but I am new to XP.

Thank you again.

Sincerely, Libra

--
Libra

"How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP."
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

Please keep your responses in the same thread. Otherwise, it's difficult, if
not impossible, to follow a train of thought.

Ted Zieglar