Any phones allow blocking phone number?

Last response: in Network Providers
December 6, 2004 7:53:43 AM

I ported my home phone to my Verizon cell phone.
I'm getting a few calls from telemarketers despite being signed up for the
Federal do not call list. I know what number they are dialing from as it
appears on the caller id.

As a result, I don't answer the call but would like to block these numbers
from calling my phone.

Do any cell phones have the capability of blocking a phone number from
calling?

Thanks
December 6, 2004 7:53:44 AM

I do not know of any phones that allow you to block specific numbers, but
many Motorola phones, including my V60s, allow you to optionally (simple
toggle) block all phone numbers that are not in your personal phonebook.
When this setting is enabled, any call from a number that is not in your
phonebook, including blocked or unavailable, goes directly to voicemail.

"NotMe" <NotMe@NotHere.com> wrote in message
> I ported my home phone to my Verizon cell phone.
> I'm getting a few calls from telemarketers despite being signed up for the
> Federal do not call list. I know what number they are dialing from as it
> appears on the caller id.
>
> As a result, I don't answer the call but would like to block these numbers
> from calling my phone.
>
> Do any cell phones have the capability of blocking a phone number from
> calling?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:53:45 AM

tgw wrote:
> I do not know of any phones that allow you to block specific numbers,

Nokia handsets have traditionally supported this feature - I know my 6185 did.
The call obviously needs to have caller ID info for this to work. Don't know if
the 3589 or 6015 support this.

What happens is that the phone simply doesn't ring if someone calls from a
blocked number. The caller will hear the typical 4-6 rings and then go to voice
mail; the callee won't even know there was a call from that number.

December 6, 2004 7:53:46 AM

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:cp0tnv$s2r$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> What happens is that the phone simply doesn't ring if someone calls from a blocked number. The caller will hear the typical 4-6
> rings and then go to voice mail; the callee won't even know there was a call from that number.

On other less capable phones you can associate a silent ringtone with
a number so at least you don't get bugged.

Roger
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:02:42 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I also have a v60s. Do you remember how you turned on this feature? Do you
find that you miss a lot of calls from people who aren't in your phone book?

"tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote in message
> I do not know of any phones that allow you to block specific numbers, but
> many Motorola phones, including my V60s, allow you to optionally (simple
> toggle) block all phone numbers that are not in your personal phonebook.
> When this setting is enabled, any call from a number that is not in your
> phonebook, including blocked or unavailable, goes directly to voicemail.
>
> "NotMe" <NotMe@NotHere.com> wrote in message
> > I ported my home phone to my Verizon cell phone.
> > I'm getting a few calls from telemarketers despite being signed up for
the
> > Federal do not call list. I know what number they are dialing from as
it
> > appears on the caller id.
> >
> > As a result, I don't answer the call but would like to block these
numbers
> > from calling my phone.
> >
> > Do any cell phones have the capability of blocking a phone number from
> > calling?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 1:48:14 PM

NotMe wrote:
> I ported my home phone to my Verizon cell phone.
> I'm getting a few calls from telemarketers despite being signed up
for the
> Federal do not call list. I know what number they are dialing from
as it
> appears on the caller id.
>
> As a result, I don't answer the call but would like to block these
numbers
> from calling my phone.
>
> Do any cell phones have the capability of blocking a phone number
from
> calling?
>
> Thanks

To my knowledge there aren't any cell phones that do what you want to
do.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 1:48:26 PM

NotMe wrote:
> I ported my home phone to my Verizon cell phone.
> I'm getting a few calls from telemarketers despite being signed up
for the
> Federal do not call list. I know what number they are dialing from
as it
> appears on the caller id.
>
> As a result, I don't answer the call but would like to block these
numbers
> from calling my phone.
>
> Do any cell phones have the capability of blocking a phone number
from
> calling?
>
> Thanks

To my knowledge there aren't any cell phones that do what you want to
do.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 4:18:19 AM

that is why it is a bad idea to port your home number to your cell phone.
jass's like them will keep calling you even if your on the list.

!