Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Registry modificaiton outside of Windows - Mount order cha..

Tags:
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
October 27, 2004 4:53:01 PM

Right, this is going to be a long explanation I am afraid. When I first had
this PC I had the following setup

C: -> HD1 (Bootable)
D: -> CD-RW
E: -> DVD-ROM
F: -> HD2

HD1 failed, so I installed winxp onto HD2 which became my bootable, then HD1
was removed completely, leaving me with no C:. As time went on it seemed
many old programs would refuse to install without a C: to automatically
extract files to, and so I set about finding out how to move HD2 from F: to
C:. I found an article on the microsft site about re-naming System
partitions, and so changed the 2 registry keys as stated. Now when I log in
using winlogin.exe the system accepts the passwords, says "Loading Personal
Settings" as normal, then goes straight to "Logging Off" without loading the
desktop.

When trying to access the restore panel from the bootable installation CD
the administration password is inaccessible, regardless of the ones I use. I
am 90% sure I am using the correct password however it is refusing to allow
me any access. This is my main computer, and stuck in my user file is a lot
of files I require for my day to day work, hence my urgent need to gain
access to them again.

I have a backup, and I know which keys I changed and how to change them
back. The backup is in the form of a .reg dump which I have now found is not
the best way to back up the registry, however it is too late now so it is all
I have.

I have had to reinstall HD1 which seems to be running sufficiently for now,
however I at present am still left unable to log in. Is there any way for me
to manually modify the registry of the HD2 installation whilst running the
WinXP installation on HD1? If not is there any way to either fix my HD2
registry, or worst to the worst rescue the files locked in the user
directories? Though this is not an option I would like to follow up as I
have more files I require than I can possibly back up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

More about : registry modificaiton windows mount order cha

October 27, 2004 5:53:02 PM

Ok now this seems kinda round about to me but lets hope it works for you.

Format and install a new installation of windows on HDD1 then transfer your
files from the HDD2 to HDD1 (if you are familiar with DOS you can also copy
just the files you want from one drive to the other without the windows
install, but I assume you dont). Now take pull the IDE cable or SATA off the
HD1. Format and Reinstall windows onto HDD2 (I tend to write zeros to the
drive but I am over protective of what might or might not have been on the
drive). I would put it where HDD1 is but its your call. Now plug HDD1 into
the open IDE slot and then transfer your files back to HDD2. Run Windows
update enough times to update everything and you should be good to go.

On a side note keep this in mind when setting up where your HDDs go. Always
put HDDs on different IDE/SATA ports example below:

IDE0/SATA0 ---- <Top of cable> HDD1 ---------- <bottom of cable>CDROM
IDE1/SATA1 ---- <Top of Cable> HDD2 -----------<bottom of cable>DVDRW
SCSI card same as the top two "diagrams"

But if you note that the HDDs are on seperate cables on seperate ports and
that the DVDRW is opposite of the main HDD, this will save you in performance.

"Aeiedil Anamor" wrote:

> Right, this is going to be a long explanation I am afraid. When I first had
> this PC I had the following setup
>
> C: -> HD1 (Bootable)
> D: -> CD-RW
> E: -> DVD-ROM
> F: -> HD2
>
> HD1 failed, so I installed winxp onto HD2 which became my bootable, then HD1
> was removed completely, leaving me with no C:. As time went on it seemed
> many old programs would refuse to install without a C: to automatically
> extract files to, and so I set about finding out how to move HD2 from F: to
> C:. I found an article on the microsft site about re-naming System
> partitions, and so changed the 2 registry keys as stated. Now when I log in
> using winlogin.exe the system accepts the passwords, says "Loading Personal
> Settings" as normal, then goes straight to "Logging Off" without loading the
> desktop.
>
> When trying to access the restore panel from the bootable installation CD
> the administration password is inaccessible, regardless of the ones I use. I
> am 90% sure I am using the correct password however it is refusing to allow
> me any access. This is my main computer, and stuck in my user file is a lot
> of files I require for my day to day work, hence my urgent need to gain
> access to them again.
>
> I have a backup, and I know which keys I changed and how to change them
> back. The backup is in the form of a .reg dump which I have now found is not
> the best way to back up the registry, however it is too late now so it is all
> I have.
>
> I have had to reinstall HD1 which seems to be running sufficiently for now,
> however I at present am still left unable to log in. Is there any way for me
> to manually modify the registry of the HD2 installation whilst running the
> WinXP installation on HD1? If not is there any way to either fix my HD2
> registry, or worst to the worst rescue the files locked in the user
> directories? Though this is not an option I would like to follow up as I
> have more files I require than I can possibly back up.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 7:25:02 PM

This is impossible, HD1 is about 1 year out of date driver-wise and program
wise, and is 60 gigs 90% full, HD2 is up to date with incorrect registry
values, 150 gigs, again 90% full

I have managed now to get the raw registry files from the HD2 installation
so I can load them in HD1 installation, however I have no means to access or
edit them :\

The first site I followed and got me into this mess was :

The one I have found that precisely describes my problem is :

Resolution method 1 doesn't work, methods 2 and 3 won't work as I seem to be
unable to connect to it, method 4 is unsuitable (currently there is an f:
with a mirror on so it should be able to find the login functions, however it
dosen't)

Method 5 I have yet to try, however I am unsure if that will work, the 69013
note attached seems to not apply to xp :\

"Michael" wrote:

> [...]
> > of files I require for my day to day work, hence my urgent need to gain
> > access to them again.
> >
> > I have a backup, and I know which keys I changed and how to change them
> > back. The backup is in the form of a .reg dump which I have now found is not
> > the best way to back up the registry, however it is too late now so it is all
> > I have.
> >
> > I have had to reinstall HD1 which seems to be running sufficiently for now,
> > however I at present am still left unable to log in. Is there any way for me
> > to manually modify the registry of the HD2 installation whilst running the
> > WinXP installation on HD1? If not is there any way to either fix my HD2
> > registry, or worst to the worst rescue the files locked in the user
> > directories? Though this is not an option I would like to follow up as I
> > have more files I require than I can possibly back up.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 27, 2004 8:01:04 PM

And you cant redo what you first did? and you cannot log into your current
windows to change it back?

"Aeiedil Anamor" wrote:

> [...]
> > > of files I require for my day to day work, hence my urgent need to gain
> > > access to them again.
> > >
> > > I have a backup, and I know which keys I changed and how to change them
> > > back. The backup is in the form of a .reg dump which I have now found is not
> > > the best way to back up the registry, however it is too late now so it is all
> > > I have.
> > >
> > > I have had to reinstall HD1 which seems to be running sufficiently for now,
> > > however I at present am still left unable to log in. Is there any way for me
> > > to manually modify the registry of the HD2 installation whilst running the
> > > WinXP installation on HD1? If not is there any way to either fix my HD2
> > > registry, or worst to the worst rescue the files locked in the user
> > > directories? Though this is not an option I would like to follow up as I
> > > have more files I require than I can possibly back up.

October 27, 2004 8:05:33 PM

"...and so I set about finding out how to move HD2 from F: to C:."

The driver letter of a system partition can't be changed. You need to
reinstall into C:.
--
Ted Zieglar