Registry backup problem

Hi,
I desire to install SP2 from a CD to XP Pro. I have made the attempt to do
so several times. Each time the install process failded to backup certain
registry keys.

I do not know the significance of the keys that the SP2 install process
fails to backup, but I cannot copy these keys using regedit, even though it
appears I have permission to do so (as administrator).
--
Thanks,

Rick
1 answer Last reply
More about registry backup problem

    Get these >>>

    NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
    ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    make
    a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    old and new registry keys.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

    NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
    system
    can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
    disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
    use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
    or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
    and optimize registry access.

    The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
    thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
    modified or deleted keys.

    Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
    any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
    (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
    done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
    minimum size possible.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:243B5C8D-3875-4902-BB3A-A5098E0940B7@microsoft.com,
    Rick <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > I desire to install SP2 from a CD to XP Pro. I have made the attempt
    > to do so several times. Each time the install process failded to
    > backup certain registry keys.
    >
    > I do not know the significance of the keys that the SP2 install
    > process fails to backup, but I cannot copy these keys using regedit,
    > even though it appears I have permission to do so (as administrator).

Backup Registry Windows XP