  • Backup
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
October 27, 2004 5:29:05 PM

Hi,
I desire to install SP2 from a CD to XP Pro. I have made the attempt to do
so several times. Each time the install process failded to backup certain
registry keys.

I do not know the significance of the keys that the SP2 install process
fails to backup, but I cannot copy these keys using regedit, even though it
appears I have permission to do so (as administrator).
--
Thanks,

Rick

More about : registry backup problem

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:12:04 PM

Get these >>>

NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
make
a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new registry keys.]]
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.t...

NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
system
can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
and optimize registry access.

The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
modified or deleted keys.

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.]]
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregop...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.