marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
THe ECS Sis735, how future proof is it... how high does its multiplier go... anybody know ???
How good is the its onboard soundchip (eg equilavent to a SB16/64/128/1024) ???

Thanx...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i think it can take a 1.5 ghz..
and it auto adjusts multiplier..
but then again, supposedly, with bios updates, it can go higher than 1.5 ghz...
and i think that the sound chip is decent...but not a sb live..
it is an ac '97, i dont know what that means, but i do know that it isnt THAT bad..

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yes it will support the new palaminos and higher with bios updates. i'd say the onboard sound is comparable to an sb16. i know it's definitely not better.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the upgradeability is a nice thing to hear...
and since i dont like to use onboard anything...except, i might use the onboard lan when i get it....
i should be fine, and not have to worry about crappy sound...hehe
gotta love bios updates!

-DAvid

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Iw would B nice to know though how fast a processor can it take B4 you need a new board... (wouldnt it B nice to see decent sound on a DDR mobo like the Iwill KK266 got...)

Heck wot I want is a DDR board with Raid, 5:1 sound, decent graphics, a free AGP slot & 6 PCI slots (who needs CNR/AMR)... hmmm Nforce might just do it if it doesnt cost a bundle...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
nforce is gonna cost a bunch....
it has a geforce2 mx-200 and the more expenxive ones have higher...
at least that is what i have heard...someone else might know more about the nforce boards..
to tell you the truth, i am not really THAT interested in the nforce boards because it is going to be too expensive...
i think it is a great idea to make built in video that is GOOD, but i would rather have a nice video card, and upgrade it if i deem necessary.
but hey, if you want the nforce, buy it, then you can let me know how good it is..
and if it is worth the $200+ it is going to cost you...

-DAvid

G

I might get one of these boards. I've heard updating the BIOS can be a right pain, if not, a complete no-go.
please tell me otherwise mate........

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
bios updating is easy. but a common mistake is that when running the utility, make sure you include the ".ROM" extension on the bios file, eg. "AMINF862 108485.ROM"

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey as long as I can run 2HDDs, A DVD drive & CDwriter as well as the standard fare of Gfx card, Modem, thats all I want...
(famous last words... 2 weeks latr... oh I fancy that bit of kit... clunk... oh B****R it won't work etc...)

Anybody for DDR333/ATA133 mobos, oh well something to get nxt year ???