hardware acceleration related display distortion

Hi!
I am using Windows XP SP-2, Office 2003 SP-1.
When I use the scroll wheel to scroll through a Word document it often
causes severe distortions of the display. This was also happening before
upgrading to SP-1 and SP-2. The display is destorted not only within the
active Word window but throuout the system. It can not be fixed in
any other matter (such as restarting Word, changing screen resolution...)
than restarting the system. Sometimes, the desktop icons stay distorted even
after rebooting! I have allready replaced the memmory chips and the graphics
card and I have updated drivers but the situation has not improved. The only
solution is to completely disable the graphics hardware acceleration.
Am I sacrificing significant performance this way? I feel like owning a
sports car and always driving it in 1st gear.
Is this the solution I should be content with or should I dig in and try to
determine the source of the problem?
Any ideas on alternative solutions?

Hi,

This happens when the drivers of the display adapter that is installed on
your computer is corrupted or not functioning properly or might not been
installed at all.

Install the drivers from the CD that accompanied the display adapter card
and then reboot. If you do not have the CD with you, search the
manufacturer's website for updated drivers.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com.

"jure@geo" wrote:

> Hi!
> I am using Windows XP SP-2, Office 2003 SP-1.
> When I use the scroll wheel to scroll through a Word document it often
> causes severe distortions of the display. This was also happening before
> upgrading to SP-1 and SP-2. The display is destorted not only within the
> active Word window but throuout the system. It can not be fixed in
> any other matter (such as restarting Word, changing screen resolution...)
> than restarting the system. Sometimes, the desktop icons stay distorted even
> after rebooting! I have allready replaced the memmory chips and the graphics
> card and I have updated drivers but the situation has not improved. The only
> solution is to completely disable the graphics hardware acceleration.
> Am I sacrificing significant performance this way? I feel like owning a
> sports car and always driving it in 1st gear.
> Is this the solution I should be content with or should I dig in and try to
> determine the source of the problem?
> Any ideas on alternative solutions?

I did have the original drivers installed and I have recently downloaded and
installed the updated drivers. That did not resolve the problem.
I am using an ATI radeon 9000 graphics card.
I have also tested the system with another graphics card (NVIDIA) with
original drivers, which didn't resolve the problem, either.

"M. Rajesh" je napisal:

> Hi,
>
> This happens when the drivers of the display adapter that is installed on
> your computer is corrupted or not functioning properly or might not been
> installed at all.
>
> Install the drivers from the CD that accompanied the display adapter card
> and then reboot. If you do not have the CD with you, search the
> manufacturer's website for updated drivers.
>
> Regards
> M. Rajesh
> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
> www.winxpsolution.com.
>
> "jure@geo" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I am using Windows XP SP-2, Office 2003 SP-1.
> > When I use the scroll wheel to scroll through a Word document it often
> > causes severe distortions of the display. This was also happening before
> > upgrading to SP-1 and SP-2. The display is destorted not only within the
> > active Word window but throuout the system. It can not be fixed in
> > any other matter (such as restarting Word, changing screen resolution...)
> > than restarting the system. Sometimes, the desktop icons stay distorted even
> > after rebooting! I have allready replaced the memmory chips and the graphics
> > card and I have updated drivers but the situation has not improved. The only
> > solution is to completely disable the graphics hardware acceleration.
> > Am I sacrificing significant performance this way? I feel like owning a
> > sports car and always driving it in 1st gear.
> > Is this the solution I should be content with or should I dig in and try to
> > determine the source of the problem?
> > Any ideas on alternative solutions?

TRENDING THREADS