njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
A friend of mine wants me to build him a P4 system for DV editing. I am wondering if anyone knows of a motherboard for the P4 that is Socket478, has RAID, and does not have onboard audio. This guy is being really specific, so I absolutely have to get a board with these specs. I don't care what chipset it has, as long as it is not the i845 because SDRAM and the P4 don't mix.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Yeah... that's the one I would get if I can't find one without onboard audio. The only issue I have with it is that the audio connectors are vertical rather than horizontal. Does the board ship with an backpanel for your case, or do you have to try to find one?

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It comes with one as far as I know (a lot of regular ones do, so I'm assuming that special ones do). And of course you can disable onboard audio. OR get out the chisle.

Back to you Tom...

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Thanks. I answered my own question about two minutes before your post by checking out <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">Newegg</A>. They show the picture of everything that comes in the box, and there is a backplate in there.

I would use a chisel... but I am not quite that brave.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here is a little secret, If you plan on using Windows 2000 or XP <b><font color=blue>( Highly Recommended!!! )</font color=blue></b>, it already has built in Raid connected to it through drivers. which means that all you have to do is find one without the sound and then buy a IDE Controller card to hook up the other two harddrives. by the way, Windows does reguire that the OS is not on the same HD as the RAID Array so you will still need to have one IDE Channel free for it, but you can do an array with the addtional Controler. To read more about this new way of doing RAID, Take a look at <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q3/010906/index.html" target="_new"> Tom's reveiw</A> on the subject. You can buy a controller for around $30 Maxtor or Fast Track are two good recommendations.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The problem with that is that you need AT LEAST three hard drives (two for software RAID, one for OS), and the OS is not on a RAID itself. I refuse to recommend software RAID to anyone for those reasons.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>