Some while ago, and after some struggles and setbacks, I created two
addtional partitions; those very problems made me reluctant to even try to
use them!

Since they exist, however, can I install WIN XP Pro/SP2 onto another
partition, without even touching existing WIN XP Pro/SP2 installation?

Would I then be able to 'move' software from the pre-existing main partition
to the newly used partition?

If so, is there a set guide lines I should follow to avoid avoidable
problems?

My advance thanks to any advice you can offer.

PP

Q. "Can I install WIN XP Pro/SP2 onto another partition, without even
touching existing WIN XP Pro/SP2 installation?"

A. Yes, once you purchase a second Windows XP license for the
second installation. Windows XP will create a dual-boot loader.

How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

Q. "Would I then be able to 'move' software from the pre-existing main partition
to the newly used partition?"

A. You would have to reinstall your software using the software installation media.
Some programs could be used by simply creating a shortcut to the second installation
drive partition.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Mr Moneypenny" wrote:

| Some while ago, and after some struggles and setbacks, I created two
| addtional partitions; those very problems made me reluctant to even try to
| use them!
|
| Since they exist, however, can I install WIN XP Pro/SP2 onto another
| partition, without even touching existing WIN XP Pro/SP2 installation?
|
| Would I then be able to 'move' software from the pre-existing main partition
| to the newly used partition?
|
| If so, is there a set guide lines I should follow to avoid avoidable
| problems?
|
| My advance thanks to any advice you can offer.
|
| PP

Thanks for that Carey, does rather beg the question, "Why would one wish to
have second version of WIN XP Pro on the same hard disk"

Actually, my question was aimed at installing the second version then, after
determining that all seemed well, deleting the original version. It seemed
a perfectly logical way of using that other partition whilst safeguarding
data on the first partition for subsequent transfer; directly were it
possible?

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Regards

PP