IBM Still Developing Cell Processor; Loves Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]bdcrlsn[/nom]If only they released the Cell for personal PC use...[/citation]

Good luck loading your Windows/Mac OSX on it. The only desktop OS I've heard that could run on Cell is Ubuntu.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
amnotanoobie: Ubuntu is a flavor of linux, any linux kernel powered OS which can run on cell will run just fine on it. Matter of fact I'm not even aware of Ubuntu having a Cell/BE variant but I'll take your word for it. There are other linux distros specifically for that though. I do run Ubuntu and have been for years now, but it still cracks me up when people say Ubuntu these days while they really mean the all-encompassing linux label.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not sure the Cell chips is competitive with the x86 arch performance-wise. For what I've read, should have gotten credit for the start of the GPU coprocesing wave we are starting to see now. That because the Cell has SMP units.

Ubuntu is almost synonymous with Linux these days. I used to try out different distros back in the day (Suse, Debian, Fedora). Now I lean toward Ubuntu because there is so much help in the forums for Ubuntu. If you really wanted to get strict on the naming, then you would have to say Linux/GNU OS.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Considering the reason why I now use predominately Windows machines instead of Macs is because Apple switched from Power to x86 processors. PowerPCs just performed MUCH better for the tasks I wanted to do than an Intel processor.

And I think it is time for something to challenge the x86 / x86-64 in the general consumer computer market, and a Power ISA processor could do that. Clearly Microsoft and Apple (as well as the Linux world) are keen on using Power-based processors, since Microsoft uses it in their XBox, and Apple previously had been using Power-based processors for years. (To be honest the only reason why I think Apple moved to x86 processors is because they can sell the "we can run Windows too!" point)

If Power.org is smart about it, and manages to get the major operating systems on board, they could easily make a huge mark on the PC market. I personally wouldn't mind seeing CPUs with the IBM/Freescale logo on it inside my computer. (And if AMD is smart about it, they'll use their previous relationship with IBM to get some Power-based CPUs with their logo on it.)

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I wondered about the cell. I remember the hype surrounding the PS3 launch and recounted in this article. I wasn't sure what ever became of it aside from the PS. It sounds like it could be useful in a low power setup, maybe you could make some kinda Linux/Cell powered competition to the Atom. I mean, the PS3 already kinda is, except the low power part. I always wanted to try installing Linux on my PS, but didn't try it before updates killed the official option.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
it is important to note that the cell has an architecture designed from the ground up based on SPE (synergistic processing elements) these SPE cores behave differently then standard x86 architecture and are made to be superior in intense gaming mathematical calculations and NOT general day to day multi-tasking and general computing capabilities.

comparing the Cell processor to either Intel or AMDs current x86 line up would yield extremely poor performance for the former.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
The Cell may be interesting from a hardware perspective but unless it's easy, trivial even, to leverage its power into software and user experience it'll continue to elicit shrugs for the foreseeable future.

I'd actually be surprised if the PS4, whenever it arrives, uses the same architecture. Unless it's aiming to be backwards-compatible, unlikely as that may be.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
This has been the most mindful, not flaming comments ever to an article.
Anyhow,
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]I wondered about the cell. I remember the hype surrounding the PS3 launch and recounted in this article. I wasn't sure what ever became of it aside from the PS. It sounds like it could be useful in a low power setup, maybe you could make some kinda Linux/Cell powered competition to the Atom. I mean, the PS3 already kinda is, except the low power part. I always wanted to try installing Linux on my PS, but didn't try it before updates killed the official option.[/citation]

I am hoping the same thing, I wouldn't mind making a HTPC outta one or even have it in my car.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I had always thought of the cell proc as a different form of mult-proc, each one cell designed for a specific purpose and use within one core. What i understood. So using the Cell proc say for something its not using for a cell, i think is where the lose is, but gained heavily though with the thoughts of once a cell is used it is used correctly and effectively for its purpose. So there is a slight reduction in need of maybe proc sizes and component uses on a board. But techinally speaking, im not sure. But if anywhere close, then yes, software wise probably more complicated given software would need to be designed around each specific cell then an overall set for the whole cell. Which is about the same of course in some senses but then again not.

ares1214

Splendid
Cell isnt that impressive because naturally all games get MS/XBOX 360 coding. I believe the cell in the PS 3 is a 7 or 8 "core" CPU, yet since no games are coded to use it like that, only the 1 core gets used. Theres a company that makes PS3 coded games exclusively, and wow, you can really tell the difference.If it picked on with the software, it would be superior,but until then, xbox graphics are better. It would also be nice to see the cell adapted to mainstream use, IBM could be a real power house if they did this and got their own OS/coding from say, Android?

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]i've seen games on xbox360 and they look the same as my ps3. what's so great about cell?[/citation]
lolWUT?? ps3 >>>> crapbox in terms of graphics. Xbox is for the poor people, hence more will have one than a ps3 and will therefore claim to not see a difference in graphics...

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]lolWUT?? ps3 >>>> crapbox in terms of graphics. Xbox is for the poor people, hence more will have one than a ps3 and will therefore claim to not see a difference in graphics...[/citation]

While I agree that PS3 has higher quality display than Xbox, Xbox is certainly not for the poor people. All consoles are expensive. >.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
The PS3 definitely has more bells and whistle than the original Xbox 360, also ended up with a much higher price tag.

I remember following these consoles prior to launch and Sony was promising the world with their cell processor. What do they say "under promise, over deliver" .... Sony did the exact opposite.

I'm not saying the PS3 is bad by any means, but for all the hype I don't see any discernible difference between what the Xbox 360 can do and the PS3.

ares1214

Splendid
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]lolWUT?? ps3 >>>> crapbox in terms of graphics. Xbox is for the poor people, hence more will have one than a ps3 and will therefore claim to not see a difference in graphics...[/citation]

Not to burst your bubble, but actually most games look better on xbox, some more than others. Very few look better on PS3, FF does, and the games made exclusively for it do as well, but thats pretty much it.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]Not to burst your bubble, but actually most games look better on xbox, some more than others. Very few look better on PS3, FF does, and the games made exclusively for it do as well, but thats pretty much it.[/citation]

That has to be subjective. PS3 outputs at 1080p, while Xbox is only capable of 720p/1080i.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm a big fan of the Cell. It's vector processing units allow it to behave as though it has a very modern GPU inspite of the piece of junk nVidia chip it has in there.
As time goes on I expect that we will continue to see improvement in the graphics on the PS3. I'm looking forward to seeing what else the PS3 can do!

Ok, a few things to clear the waters: X-Box has similar/better looking games just because all major developers use it for their main develop and port games to either PC or PS3. Period.

From a performance stand point, for games alone, Cell has no big advantage over standard x86 + big graphics combo; minus it's complex programming, ugh... Might be cheaper though, don't know details, but is still in the same ball park in performance (x86 + GPU, remember that) at least. Now, IBM could position this processor with no problem at all giving Linux devs a little "incentive" to make it more "stream friendly" (Ubuntu, MacOS *wink wink*).

And from "standard" daily use; even Atoms meet today's standard, why not a Cell Processor?

Come on IBM, we need another player in the consumer segment; remember the good ol' days? xD!

Cheers!

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
They should make a PC variant of a this cell processor to run on pci express with a couple of extra instructs to add multi GPU solutions, and of course directx and direct 3D support for linux and windows!

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]Not to burst your bubble, but actually most games look better on xbox, some more than others. Very few look better on PS3, FF does, and the games made exclusively for it do as well, but thats pretty much it.[/citation]

I imagine he's refering to exclusives. Multiplatform games, you can expect some lead on the console which was the lead platform. And since developers expect to just quickly port to the ps3 and only use the videocard for graphics, they end up with an underperforming game, as the PS3's videocard is weaker than the 360's. But when you look at exclusives and the developer clearly makes use of the Cell, there is quite a difference in visual quality and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.