Proliant ML370 fan question...

I have tried changing the fans on an ML370 server to some quieter ones, but
it keeps saying that the CPU fan has failed and that the slot fan is not
present. I rewired the connections from the originals onto the newer ones.

The fans are running OK, so how is it detecting the failure etc?
Is there any workaround to stop it searching for the fans at boot-up?
The server always runs cold so will not overheat.

Thanks
Andrew
2 answers Last reply
More about proliant ml370 question

    Are the new fans 3wire (rpm sensor) and 2 wire on the old ones?
    If so, don't connect the rpm wire and use the end of the old wire which
    sometimes has a loop on 2 of the pins. If that's not it, usually quieter
    means lower rpm and perhaps the system detects them as being too slow. No
    way to stop it checking as far as I know.

    "Andrew Farmer" <ajf1976THEFROG@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have tried changing the fans on an ML370 server to some quieter ones,
    but
    > it keeps saying that the CPU fan has failed and that the slot fan is not
    > present. I rewired the connections from the originals onto the newer ones.
    >
    > The fans are running OK, so how is it detecting the failure etc?
    > Is there any workaround to stop it searching for the fans at boot-up?
    > The server always runs cold so will not overheat.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Andrew

  2. How'd you do your pinout? Im trying the same idea on mine but I miswired the fan and the fan blew! Not sure what I did but I plugged in the origninal one and it still worked. What colors go to what? I got a Red, Yellow, and a Black on mine.

Compaq Servers Fan Proliant Computers