problems/Norton Antivirus & Internet Security

Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
available, verify internet connection".

After searching here and there, it may be that they want
me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
before they will talk to you!

Any idea? tanks
5 answers Last reply
More about problems norton antivirus internet security

    You didn't say what version of Norton you're running?

    I was running 4.0, then I upgraded to 5.0. There are some serious issues
    with 5.0. If you scan the entire hard drive, with thousands of files, it
    completes the virus scan, then gives you a summary, showing it scanned only
    a fraction of that amount! And yes, Liveupdate is not so lively these days.
    In addition to that, I had to activate 5.0, three times! Symantec is aware
    of the file misscount issue, and has no solution. I pulled 5.0, and went
    back to 4.0, for now.

    Sometimes you don't get what you paid for!

    Bill Crocker

    "Monique K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
    > since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
    > february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
    > the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
    > available, verify internet connection".
    >
    > After searching here and there, it may be that they want
    > me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
    > freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
    > option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
    > cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
    > the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
    > It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
    > before they will talk to you!
    >
    > Any idea? tanks

    Hi... I am not sure of version. It shows version 4, but
    with module version 5.3.2.67, which, I assume, means it
    was upgraded. I absolutely cannot access the upgrades or
    scan to see if any are needed. It tells me that I am not
    up to date but cannot scan their catalog. Something led me
    to think that they want me to buy their latest version.
    Don't know what to do.

    Try this:
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

    "Monique K" wrote:

> [...]

    what version are you running

    "Monique K" wrote:

    > Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
    > since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
    > february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
    > the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
    > available, verify internet connection".
    >
    > After searching here and there, it may be that they want
    > me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
    > freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
    > option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
    > cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
    > the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
    > It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
    > before they will talk to you!
    >
    > Any idea? tanks

    That's not right they should onner there contract. that't what I think

    "Bill Crocker" wrote:

    > You didn't say what version of Norton you're running?
    >
    > I was running 4.0, then I upgraded to 5.0. There are some serious issues
    > with 5.0. If you scan the entire hard drive, with thousands of files, it
    > completes the virus scan, then gives you a summary, showing it scanned only
    > a fraction of that amount! And yes, Liveupdate is not so lively these days.
    > In addition to that, I had to activate 5.0, three times! Symantec is aware
    > of the file misscount issue, and has no solution. I pulled 5.0, and went
    > back to 4.0, for now.
    >
    > Sometimes you don't get what you paid for!
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Monique K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
    > > since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
    > > february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
    > > the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
    > > available, verify internet connection".
    > >
    > > After searching here and there, it may be that they want
    > > me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
    > > freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
    > > option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
    > > cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
    > > the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
    > > It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
    > > before they will talk to you!
    > >
    > > Any idea? tanks

Norton Internet Security Antivirus Windows XP