problems/Norton Antivirus & Internet Security

October 28, 2004 6:43:17 PM

Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
available, verify internet connection".

After searching here and there, it may be that they want
me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
before they will talk to you!

Any idea? tanks
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 10:48:19 PM

You didn't say what version of Norton you're running?

I was running 4.0, then I upgraded to 5.0. There are some serious issues
with 5.0. If you scan the entire hard drive, with thousands of files, it
completes the virus scan, then gives you a summary, showing it scanned only
a fraction of that amount! And yes, Liveupdate is not so lively these days.
In addition to that, I had to activate 5.0, three times! Symantec is aware
of the file misscount issue, and has no solution. I pulled 5.0, and went
back to 4.0, for now.

Sometimes you don't get what you paid for!

Bill Crocker

"Monique K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
> since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
> february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
> the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
> available, verify internet connection".
>
> After searching here and there, it may be that they want
> me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
> freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
> option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
> cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
> the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
> It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
> before they will talk to you!
>
> Any idea? tanks
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 10:48:20 PM

Hi... I am not sure of version. It shows version 4, but
with module version 5.3.2.67, which, I assume, means it
was upgraded. I absolutely cannot access the upgrades or
scan to see if any are needed. It tells me that I am not
up to date but cannot scan their catalog. Something led me
to think that they want me to buy their latest version.
Don't know what to do.
October 29, 2004 6:52:03 AM

Try this:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

"Monique K" wrote:

> [...]
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 12:43:02 PM

what version are you running

"Monique K" wrote:

> Re: Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security
> since 2 days (even though my subscription is paid thru
> february), I can no longer run the "live update". I get
> the message that they "cannot retrieve catalog of file
> available, verify internet connection".
>
> After searching here and there, it may be that they want
> me to buy and upgrade. I am not sure though. The computer
> freezes at some point each time I try to pursue this
> option. I never got a notification from Symantec and
> cannot believe it would stop working, while I have paid
> the subscription, and not notify people of the reason.
> It's impossible to call them... they want a credit card
> before they will talk to you!
>
> Any idea? tanks

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 12:54:04 PM

That's not right they should onner there contract. that't what I think

!