Very Slow

Hi, recently, my computer has been very slow. It may take 15 seconds just to
load internet explorer or microsoft word. I did not install any mailicious
software (or any that I know of), and have scanned my computer for viruses,
adware and spyware. When I checked the processes that were running, I
noticed some that took up a lot of memory usage. For example, tehre was
mp3pc.exe which took up over 100 mB of memory usage (when I end process, it
just pops up again).. There were also other programs that also took up a lot
of memory usage (ones that I do not know about). I looked up these files but
the only files associated with the process name was in my prefect file. Can
someone help me? Should I get rid of these processes, and if so, how do I?
Thank you,

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about very slow

    The only thing I could find on internet search is :

    "MP3PC plays MP3 files through your PC speaker! For some reason I like to
    make programs work through the PC speaker. Some people still don't know that
    it's possible to play real sounds through it. Unfortunately, you must run
    this in pure DOS mode for it to work"

    Use windows explorer search companion and search for MP3PC and delete
    directory or mp3pc.exe even if it's in a windows directory.

    I noticed you didn't include virus and spyware\maleware scans for those free
    downloads to help with everything they promise but don't tell you about
    startup programs and registry items that fool with your pc.

    1) If you don't have reliable spyware/maleware removal, you can get it
    with spybot free at :
    http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?page=spybotsd#clean

    I suggest you run the spybot scan. It will run awhile. WHen finished ,clean
    recommended. Some entries will be in memory. The program ask if you would
    like to fix at next boot up. Reply yes

    It has an automatic backup so you can restore fixes.

    2) You'll also need to remove startup registry items after running
    spybot. Highjackthis is available free at:

    http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?

    They can help you with interpreting logs. Just follow their instructions.
    You can wait for their interpretation or you can look for 04 startup entries.
    I suggest you delete any software startup thats not store bought software.

    If you don't have virus protection, Symantec test your computer's exposer to
    online threats.
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    I suggest you get virus protection, or your asking for trouble.

    "Chris" wrote:

    > Hi, recently, my computer has been very slow. It may take 15 seconds just to
    > load internet explorer or microsoft word. I did not install any mailicious
    > software (or any that I know of), and have scanned my computer for viruses,
    > adware and spyware. When I checked the processes that were running, I
    > noticed some that took up a lot of memory usage. For example, tehre was
    > mp3pc.exe which took up over 100 mB of memory usage (when I end process, it
    > just pops up again).. There were also other programs that also took up a lot
    > of memory usage (ones that I do not know about). I looked up these files but
    > the only files associated with the process name was in my prefect file. Can
    > someone help me? Should I get rid of these processes, and if so, how do I?
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Chris

    Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
    combination of factors. Listed
    below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
    poor performance after
    the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
    of Windows XP but the
    list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
    list until you achieve an
    acceptable result.
    Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
    often you do it will depend
    on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
    1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
    Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
    ( more Options tab )
    and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
    partition you may
    need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
    4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General,
    Delete Cookies.
    5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
    visited is retained. Start,
    Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.
    Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites. If Spyware
    persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
    Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
    reliance on virtual memory,
    may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
    earlier version of Windows.
    Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
    MB is
    recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
    pagefile (virtual
    memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
    your pagefile is located.
    You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

    Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
    Tools, Services, Indexing
    Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
    More information here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service
    You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
    programmes/windows after
    use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
    are really necessary.
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
    Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
    programme. Look in Google to
    see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
    solution.
    http://groups.google.com/
    Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
    Viewer by selecting Start,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
    the error, information
    regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Hi, recently, my computer has been very slow. It may take 15 seconds
    > just to
    > load internet explorer or microsoft word. I did not install any
    > mailicious
    > software (or any that I know of), and have scanned my computer for
    > viruses,
    > adware and spyware. When I checked the processes that were running, I
    > noticed some that took up a lot of memory usage. For example, tehre
    > was
    > mp3pc.exe which took up over 100 mB of memory usage (when I end
    > process, it
    > just pops up again).. There were also other programs that also took
    > up a lot
    > of memory usage (ones that I do not know about). I looked up these
    > files but
    > the only files associated with the process name was in my prefect
    > file. Can
    > someone help me? Should I get rid of these processes, and if so, how
    > do I?
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Chris

Memory Usage Internet Explorer Computers Windows XP