Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading gaming Computer

Last response: in Video Games
October 23, 2011 2:35:51 PM

Im looking to upgraded my computer to play swtor when it comes out and just wanted to know where to start. I have

CPU= AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz
Mobo= ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE AM2 Nivida 590 SLI
Ram= DDR2 800mhz 4gb in 2 sticks (can not add more ram, because 2 ram slot do not work)
GPU=2 nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX in SLI
OS= window 7 home 64bit
PS= 1000w ULTRA

i was hoping to just ungrade the gpu but i dont think the the case.
i asked this on a game forums and got mixed answer, i just dont wanted to upgrade cpu, ram and mobo, if i can get a gpu
but dont want to just buy a gpu and not see any better Performance, or will i see better Performance with a new cpu,ram, mobo
or do i need to upgrade everything

all i do on my pc is gaming and surf the web thanks for your help
October 23, 2011 3:13:12 PM

my suggestion: repost this in the Systems/New Build forum, and include your budget
Score

Best solution

October 23, 2011 3:48:24 PM

to be honest your stuck at entry level with that system although x2 88gtx is still quite a powerful midrange setup your cpu is defiantly bargain basement.. it would have been bottlenecking your gpu's badly as that cpu could just manage to have enough bandwidth to handle a single 88gtx and would be a well balanced system.
i know this sounds odd but if you remove 1 of thoughs cards you will get better ballance performance... you will have overall less fps but your fps will be constant or near enough... without any of the big drops you will have been getting if playing games like bad company 2....

on to your options...
personaly i would change the cpu, motherboard, and ram... you could jump ship and get an i5 2500k an h61 motherboard and 8 gigs of ram for around 350
you could spend 150 on a gtx560 but your cpu is so old it will bottleneck it badly so it would be pointless...
upgrade the mobo/cpu to either a phenom II 955 or better or an i5 2400 or better. with ddr3 ram.

you can then replace the gfx after the new year...
Related resources
October 30, 2011 6:25:56 AM

Best answer selected by larok.
Score
October 30, 2011 3:07:30 PM

thank you
Score
!