NetBios & Zone Alarm?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 10:08:45 PM

Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless Router
Netgear WG511 Wireless PC Card /w latest driver download from Netgear web
site.
Using WEP 64-bit

I have just setup and started running my new Christmas Wireless Internet
connection hardware. Connections are working great.
My question is about my Zone Alarm firewall blocking outgoing from "Source
IP" 192.168.1.x:xxxx to "Destination IP" 192.168.1.x.xxx . I think this just
started up after setting up my wireless stuff. I don't remember seeing it
before.
What does this mean? Should I worry about it?
Thanks,
John

More about : netbios zone alarm

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 10:39:35 PM

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless Router
> Netgear WG511 Wireless PC Card /w latest driver download from Netgear web
> site.
> Using WEP 64-bit
>
> I have just setup and started running my new Christmas Wireless Internet
> connection hardware. Connections are working great.
> My question is about my Zone Alarm firewall blocking outgoing from "Source
> IP" 192.168.1.x:xxxx to "Destination IP" 192.168.1.x.xxx . I think this
> just started up after setting up my wireless stuff. I don't remember
> seeing it before.
> What does this mean? Should I worry about it?
> Thanks,
> John

More clarification:

Discription from ZA:
"Packet sent from 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS Datagram) to 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS
Datagram) was blocked"

I get this if both directions, incoming and outgoing.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 3:20:09 AM

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless Router
> Netgear WG511 Wireless PC Card /w latest driver download from Netgear web
> site.
> Using WEP 64-bit
>
> I have just setup and started running my new Christmas Wireless Internet
> connection hardware. Connections are working great.
> My question is about my Zone Alarm firewall blocking outgoing from "Source
> IP" 192.168.1.x:xxxx to "Destination IP" 192.168.1.x.xxx . I think this
> just started up after setting up my wireless stuff. I don't remember
> seeing it before.
> What does this mean? Should I worry about it?
> Thanks,

It sounds like your local subnet is not on the trusted list. you should add
the subnet to the trusted zone. I've noticed the pro version detects and
does it automatically. But maybe the other version(can't remember) doesn't.

What port numbers were being accessed? Netbios I think is 445??? or
something like that.

Daniel
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 3:20:10 AM

"Daniel Bennett" <daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote in message

> "L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless Router
>> Netgear WG511 Wireless PC Card /w latest driver download from Netgear web
>> site.
>> Using WEP 64-bit
>>
>> I have just setup and started running my new Christmas Wireless Internet
>> connection hardware. Connections are working great.
>> My question is about my Zone Alarm firewall blocking outgoing from
>> "Source IP" 192.168.1.x:xxxx to "Destination IP" 192.168.1.x.xxx . I
>> think this just started up after setting up my wireless stuff. I don't
>> remember seeing it before.
>> What does this mean? Should I worry about it?
>> Thanks,
>
> It sounds like your local subnet is not on the trusted list. you should
> add the subnet to the trusted zone. I've noticed the pro version detects
> and does it automatically. But maybe the other version(can't remember)
> doesn't.
>
> What port numbers were being accessed? Netbios I think is 445??? or
> something like that.
>
> Daniel

The port numbers vary, but always in the 1xxx range. Sometimes there is no
port # listed. Sometimes it says "NetBIOS Session" other times it says
"NetBIOS Datagram".
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 3:46:32 AM

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote > More clarification:

> Discription from ZA:
> "Packet sent from 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS Datagram) to 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS
> Datagram) was blocked"
>
> I get this if both directions, incoming and outgoing.

If the 192.168.1.* was in the trusted zone you wouldn't get it at all. Its
seeing packets outside of your pc as 'on the internet' even though they are
local.

Daniel
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 3:46:33 AM

> "L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote > More clarification:
>>
>> Discription from ZA:
>> "Packet sent from 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS Datagram) to 192.168.1.x
>> (NetBIOS Datagram) was blocked"
>>
>> I get this if both directions, incoming and outgoing.
>
> If the 192.168.1.* was in the trusted zone you wouldn't get it at all. Its
> seeing packets outside of your pc as 'on the internet' even though they
> are local.
>
> Daniel

Would that be the trusted zone under the ACCESS or SERVER heading?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 4:03:58 AM

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The port numbers vary, but always in the 1xxx range. Sometimes there is no
> port # listed. Sometimes it says "NetBIOS Session" other times it says
> "NetBIOS Datagram".

Like I said if anything in the 192.168.1.* range is getting blocked its
because its not trusted and therefore not considered 'local' traffic.

Daniel
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 4:13:34 AM

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote
> Would that be the trusted zone under the ACCESS or SERVER heading?

I have zone alarm pro at the moment, and under firewall, theres an option
for zones where you just add 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. As that trial
expires tonight I'll downgrade it and check for you...

Daniel
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 4:13:35 AM

> "L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote
>> Would that be the trusted zone under the ACCESS or SERVER heading?
>
> I have zone alarm pro at the moment, and under firewall, theres an option
> for zones where you just add 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. As that trial
> expires tonight I'll downgrade it and check for you...
>
> Daniel

Hey Daniel,
I am slow but steady. With your insight and some more looking at ZA help
files I figured out how to add that IP # to the trusted zone.
Thanks a Million,
John
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 4:24:56 AM

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote
> Would that be the trusted zone under the ACCESS or SERVER heading?

ok take a look at
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/media/pdf/zaclient55_u... which
is the manual...

Under firewall protection then managing traffic sources is the information
you need. Basically you select firewall, then within that the zones tab. the
make sure your network is listed as a trusted zone. (assuming all pc's on
this network are your own of course!)

Kind regards,

Daniel
!