AT Socket 7 Power Problem

G

I just upgraded my old P133 (which I intend to use as a linux firewall/router to my new box) with a bit more memory. However, in order to get at the memory, I had to unplug some of the IDE cables since the memory sockets are located in an ungodly location directly underneath the power supply and right beside the IDE connectors.

Anyway, while I was unplugging that cable, I believe I accidently unplugged a 2 wire (red & black) connector that leads directly to my power supply. After re-attaching all the other wires (at that time, thinking the connector was an extra one, which my power supply has a plenty), my computer will not turn on.

The motherboard is an A-OPEN socket 7, circa 1996 I believe.

If anyone has any idea why it's not booting (and I will kick the person who suggests I didn't plug it into the wall ;) ), I would appreciate it greatly.

(edit) Since it would probably help, I can see 2 possible sets of pins I could attach it to. Assume I have the motherboard turned so that the long edge with the CPU is towards me, and, the PCI slots are on the long side away from me.

6 pins on the far left center of the board, about an inch from the CPU, and orriented horizontally to the long edge of the board.

6 pins on the far right upper portion of the board, arranged in an "n" fashion (that is, the space could fit 8 pins, but the bottom row center two are missing).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by andrewkm on 10/13/01 00:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what kind of a two wire connector that came from the PS could go into a motherboard?

It must be the 5V/GND connector that is used to power the 7 segment display on the case front that shows the CPU speed. It doesnt go into the motherboard. Or might be a front panel LED connector or reset or turbo button connector. but those are always colour coded. This pair sure carries some power supply, its not a signal connector. Can you post a photo somewhere?

Have you connected the power connectors P8 and P9 properly, with both black wires on either of the connectors in the middle?

Does your board power up and fan spin when you switch it on? Is the fan connectir on the motherboard or connects directly to the power supply?

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
could you tell the exact modem name or chipset so that i could get the board manual from the aopen site?

Ok I noticed that you said that you upgraded the ram. A couple weeks ago a friend brought his computer over for an upgrade. Well he brought over some SDRAM to replace his EDO RAM. The board had slots for both. But would not run with the SDRAM installed. After a little searching we found out it only supports EDORAM & EDOSDRAM but not SDRAM. Even though they fit the slot .
The other option is that this is an AT board.The two wires that you are refering to go to the front pannel on/ off switch. Which is normal for an AT case.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 10/13/01 09:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, that could be. There used to be EDO DIMMs that fit into the regular SDRAM DIMM slots. They wont work.

Check with your old memory sticks. If they work, just get bigger ones of the same type.

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check for a jumper on the motherboard saying 5V/3.3V around it. 5V is for EDO memory while 3.3V is for SDRAM, your board might take SDRAM if there is a 3.3V setting.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Certain boards support both EDO and SDRAM DIMMS, but are limmited to the size (early ones at 64MB, later ones at 128MB) and the Intel VX chipset only supported SDRAM DIMMS with 2MB or less per chip (16 chips for a 32MB module). There were some systems that had the FX chipset or earlier and DIMM slots, those only suported EDO DIMMs. And some supported wierd styles, like buffered memory.
Most likely you just needed a different (older) type of SDRAM in order to use it. And the proper memory voltage setting on the board.

Back to you Tom...