Sign in with
Your question

GTA 4 problems - Rockstar giving me bullcrap - help!

Last response: in Video Games
October 24, 2011 4:16:08 AM

Look at the conversation I have been having with Rockstar support, and tell me who is right. Me, or them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME

Darkul81
Oct-22 01:14

I recently purchased GTA4 and GTA:ELC from steam. I do the majority of my PC gaming on my ASUS laptop. Mid-range machine, but I have never had any trouble running any game on the market at high visual quality - Metro 2033 on high at 40fps, for example.

It has an i7 quad-core @ 1.73GHz TB @ 2.93GHz, ATI mobile radeon hd5870, 6gb ddr3 memory, and 640gb hdd.

I have 1007mb of "resources" on the graphics page, and whether I use 500, or 1050, I get 15-20 fps. This is nuts. I am running it in 1600x900. I should do a lot better.

Please give me some tips on how to increase performance, as I am not too tech savvy.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROCKSTAR

To be able to look into this issue we would need more information about your computer, the easiest way to find this information would be to run a DXDIAG report from your computer. To do this:

- Press the "R" and "Windows" key on you keyboard.
- Click the Run icon .
- Type the word "dxdiag" (without the ") into the text box and press OK.
- In the bottom right hand side of the screen, click the "Save All Information" button.
- Save the dxdiag.txt file to your desktop.
- Attach the file to your reply to this email.

We will also require an MSINFO report as well. To do this:

- Put the game or program CD into the cd-rom drive then do the following below:
- If you're using Windows XP, click Start on your computers desktop, then click the Run icon . Or if you're using Windows Vista/7 Press the "R" and "Windows logo" keys on you keyboard.
- Type the word "msinfo32" (without the ") into the text box and press OK. This will bring up the Microsoft System Information window.
- Click on File then EXPORT (not save).
- Save the file as "msinfo32" (without the ") and save it to your desktop.
- Attach the file to your reply to this email.

Do you currently have the Clip Capture option turned on or off? (This is found under Game from the main menu)

What are the settings you are currently playing the game with;

Video Mode (Resolution)
Texture Quality
Reflection Resolution
Water Quality
Shadow Quality
Night Shadows
Texture Filter Quality
View Distance
Detail Distance
Vehicle Density
Resource Usage /
Definition
VSync

With this information we will be able to investigate your problem further.

Kind Regards

Oct-22 2011 03:26

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME

Here is the info requested. Thanks.

Video Mode (Resolution) 1600x900
Texture Quality High
Reflection Resolution Very High
Water Quality Very High
Shadow Quality High
Night Shadows Very High
Texture Filter Quality AAx2
View Distance 50
Detail Distance 50
Vehicle Density 50
Resource Usage 920
Definition on
VSync on

msinfo32.txt
DxDiag.txt
Oct-22 2011 21:18

(basically, here are my specs)

Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz with TB
ATI mobile HD5870
6gb ddr3 memory
640gb hdd
17.3 display 16x9

When I had my desktop I was doing better on high settings with a 9800gtx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROCKSTAR

Hello,

For the settings as supplied to us, the performance you are getting is about right, if you reduced some of the settings you are playing on away from Very High to High you might find that the performance is improved.

You must also remember not to compare your laptop hardware with it's desktop equivalent as the two do greatly differ on running speed and processing ability. The mobile version of the HD5870 being similar in spec to the desktop HD5770 with only 800 pixel shaders as opposed to the desktop's 1600.

Kind regards

Oct-23 2011 07:56

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME

My graphics card is not an HD5770. My graphics card is actually an UNDERCLOCKED hd5770. And?

I am playing Crysis on high and getting 30fps. Metro in high at 40fps.

And like I said, in GTA 4, when I only use 500 points of resources - this entails playing on low settings - I still only get 15-20 fps.

This is incredibly frustrating. I would appreciate some tweaking suggestions instead of mere cut and paste standard suggestions.

Please also keep in mind that my card, being an underclocked 5770, with current drivers, is actually about dead even with a 4870. The 4870 was top of the line when gta 4 was released. The 5770 was a high performance budget card released a year AFTER gta 4 was released.

No. I should be able to play gta 4 at high visual settings if not maxed - especially with my cpu and memory.

I appreciate your prompt response and willingness to help, but if you consider the facts, I am sure you will concede that I am right. Especially considering that oodles of people have had this same issue.

Kind regards

Oct-23 2011 23:54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pretty ticked right now.

Are they right, or should I STILL be getting better performance than what I am getting. I think they are giving me the run around is what I think.

What do you think?
October 24, 2011 6:46:29 AM

rockstar imo doesnt want to admit that gta4 was a terribly ported game with severe hardware limitations. I call shenanigans on their inability to properly port an installment
m
l
October 24, 2011 7:51:04 AM

I agree with them in one respect: The laptop model number is NOT equivalent to the desktop one. The discrete 5770 is more or less equal to the 4870, but the mobile one is certainly slower.

Having said that, I agree with FlintIronStagg in that GTA4 on the PC is known for being a poor port with serious performance issues. Best you can do is update your drivers, patch the game to the latest version, and tune down some settings.

EDIT: The fact that low vs high settings gives you similar performance may point to something other that the GPU being the bottleneck. CPU, for instance.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 8:08:46 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I agree with them in one respect: The laptop model number is NOT equivalent to the desktop one. The discrete 5770 is more or less equal to the 4870, but the mobile one is certainly slower.

Havin said that, I agree with FlintIronStagg in that GTA4 on the PC is known for being a poor port with serious performance issues. Best you can do is update your divers, patch the game to the latest version, and tune down some settings.

EDIT: The fact that low vs high settings gives you similar performance may point to something other that the GPU being the bottleneck. CPU, for instance.

agreed
m
l
October 24, 2011 8:31:49 AM

Yeah, still no word back fro rockstar. My point is that the 4870 was a top card when gta4 was released. The 5770 was actually released a year after.

My CPU is an i7 quad core - it should more than suffice for this. Goodness gracious these people are flaky.
m
l
October 24, 2011 8:40:40 AM

I've not had much luck with these kind of questions on the developer's own forums. I suggest you google for a GTA4 tweak guide. Someone is bound to have done a thorough evaluation of the best way to get decent performance vs visual quality.
m
l
October 24, 2011 12:53:10 PM

Actually, I found what the problem was. I set the view and detail distance down to 30. Having the detail and draw distance at 50 (the 360 version is set at 20, by comparison) I was really bringing my cpu to it's knees. From what I hear, gta 4 is really cpu intensive. So I set the draw and detail distance at 30 apiece, and I am otherwise maxing it out at around 30-35 fps. Certainly playable.

What was throwing me off, is that on the graphics page the "resources available" would barely budge when I moved the draw and detail settings up - as if it did not have that much of an impact on performance.

Why Rockstar didn't tell me this and I had to find it out on my own is beyond me. They should stick to the console and quit with the pc ports.
m
l
October 24, 2011 1:16:39 PM

Glad you managed to fix it.
m
l
October 24, 2011 1:39:06 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Actually, I found what the problem was. I set the view and detail distance down to 30. Having the detail and draw distance at 50 (the 360 version is set at 20, by comparison) I was really bringing my cpu to it's knees. From what I hear, gta 4 is really cpu intensive. So I set the draw and detail distance at 30 apiece, and I am otherwise maxing it out at around 30-35 fps. Certainly playable.

What was throwing me off, is that on the graphics page the "resources available" would barely budge when I moved the draw and detail settings up - as if it did not have that much of an impact on performance.

Why Rockstar didn't tell me this and I had to find it out on my own is beyond me. They should stick to the console and quit with the pc ports.

they should stick to pc ports, but do them well, lol. Seems alot of companies are issuing bad ports that they plan to patch, then it all goes awry. Glad you found the issue though
m
l
October 24, 2011 3:19:14 PM

Rockstar is just hiding the fact that their PC version of GTA IV is poorly coded.
I don't think much developers will allow you to change/tweak the game in anyway possible.
But it's good to see that it's running fine for you now. :) 
m
l
October 24, 2011 3:20:17 PM

Unfortunately for us, GTA IV, the PC version, is a lost cause.
m
l
October 24, 2011 7:32:02 PM

the fps your getting on your gfx should be between 20 and 30 with them settings.
your view distance is set to high it should be at around 35-37 and you should use no more than 880MB any more and the game becomes unstable... the other issue is with your cpu. even though its an I series it still doesnt have the grunt across all 4 cores... even with turbo on. turbo only works in certain senarios. when its 1 core you will get the max speed your cpu can deliver. when its 2 cores the turbo is set lower when all cores are active turbo has hardly any effect as it gets spread across the cores at even lower frequencies... im not sure what the max speed is when all 4 are active but it can be as low as 2.2ghz compared to 2.9 for a single core active. so although your gpu may be up for the game the cpu isnt, gta 4 is probably the only game you will have this issue with currently but you may notice the same problem with games like witcher 2 and BF3

m
l
October 24, 2011 8:25:34 PM

Hmmm.... maybe I'll give GTA4 a spin on my IdeaPad Y470 to see how well (or poor) the i5-2410m and nVidia GT 550m can handle the game.
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:07:05 PM

jaguarskx said:
Hmmm.... maybe I'll give GTA4 a spin on my IdeaPad Y470 to see how well (or poor) the i5-2410m and nVidia GT 550m can handle the game.

It played OK on my i5 + GT330M laptop after I turned reflection detail down. Shame it's such a boring game.
m
l
October 25, 2011 11:48:10 AM

I liked the game though. It's got a really good plot and the gun battles are just really realistic.
m
l
!