Compaq S6020wm modem problems

Anyone else had problems with this modem being very slow (Agere Win
Modem)and have latest drivers installed? Anyone have any idea's to
help me out?

Thanks for any help

euclid

First, you should know that Lucent changed their name to Agere, so it might
also be called Lucent Win Modem. It was called the latter on my S4020WM,
which preceeded your S6020WM by a year or so. So I probably have the same
modem as you.

The link to software and driver downloads for your model is as follows, but
nothing is listed:
http://tinyurl.com/ywprs
Wait awhile. It took about 2-3 months after I purchased my model before they
started listing anything. If you want to look at the equivalent page for my
model it's at:
http://tinyurl.com/xhp8

I got a driver update for my modem (apparently the same as your modem)
through ordinary Windows Update, the same driver as is listed at the above
URL.

How slow is your modem? Mine typically connects at 40-45 Kbps on earthlink
dialup. That's not the fastest, but it's pretty good. I've had up to 48 Kbps
in the past with a different computer & modem from this location.

I've seen recommendations on this NG to replace the modem, but it's good
enough for me. I don't do much except NGs and email anymore. I don't really
care if a web page takes a little longer to download, because I don't use
the internet very much anymore. It has become too unfriendly & dangerous.
-E

"Bond 007" <klksmk@charter.net> wrote in message
Anyone else had problems with this modem being very slow (Agere Win
Modem)and have latest drivers installed? Anyone have any idea's to
help me out?

Thanks for any help

>How slow is your modem? Mine typically connects at 40-45 Kbps on earthlink
>dialup. That's not the fastest, but it's pretty good. I've had up to 48 Kbps
>in the past with a different computer & modem from this location.
The modem connects at about 49 or so but seems like it takes forever
to load a web page or go from page to page. This is on my
brother-in-laws computer and I'm not sure what dial-up is like anymore
since I have a cable modem which makes everything slow. Thanks for
your input.

Bond 007 wrote:
>> How slow is your modem? Mine typically connects at 40-45 Kbps on
>> earthlink dialup. That's not the fastest, but it's pretty good. I've
>> had up to 48 Kbps in the past with a different computer & modem from
>> this location.
> The modem connects at about 49 or so but seems like it takes forever
> to load a web page or go from page to page. This is on my
> brother-in-laws computer and I'm not sure what dial-up is like anymore
> since I have a cable modem which makes everything slow. Thanks for
> your input.

Unless the phone lines are perfect, the connect speed you are seeing is
very good. No matter what speed you can achieve, dial-up is going to be
very slow compared to broadband, especially since web site developers
load up with adds, images, etc which are not friendly for dial-up users.

Thanks for the info, its been a long time since I used dial-up but it
seems the other computer he had was much faster at downloading pages,
masybe there is a seting in internet explorer I can change to help it
out.
Thanks again

Bond 007 wrote:
> Thanks for the info, its been a long time since I used dial-up but it
> seems the other computer he had was much faster at downloading pages,
> masybe there is a seting in internet explorer I can change to help it
> out.
> Thanks again
>> Unless the phone lines are perfect, the connect speed you are seeing
>> is very good. No matter what speed you can achieve, dial-up is
>> going to be very slow compared to broadband, especially since web
>> site developers load up with adds, images, etc which are not
>> friendly for dial-up users.

It's a little late, but check the Internet Options control panel/
General tab/ Settings button. In the Check for newer versions, select
the same setting as the "fast" computer.