Upping my bus speed causes a crash :/

tane

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
I just recently got a EagleTec M30 motherboard with a 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird, and 256Mb of PC266 Memory.

When I increase my front side bus speed from 100/100 (processor/memory) to 100/133, my machine runs fine, but I can only run at 1050Mhz. When I bump up to 133/133, first of all WindowsXP just crashes, totally saying there is a fault.

When I restart, it just gets stuck into an endless loop of resetting, and my monitor goes off.

My whole system is:

EagleTec M30 Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 1.4Ghz Tray DDR
256mb DDR-Dimm (PC266)
GeForce256 64mb DDR
SBLive! + Daughterboard
RealTek 10/100 Ethernet Card

The BIOS is American Megatrends

The only thing I can think I didn't do, is when I got the cooler + fan (Spire Cooler), I just left on the pink stuff instead of putting on the Silver grease I got with it, but I didn't think that would make much of a difference.

Can anyone suggest anything, before I haul it to the shop?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tane on 10/13/01 08:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

You can try changing power supplies, or get a better motherboard. Your motherboard may not be supplying adequate voltage to the cpu. If your mobo allows voltage adjustment, I would raise it by .5-.75 volts, and see if that helps. I would also check to see if your power supply is on amd's recommended list. I use an old sparkle 235 watt, and it runs my 1.2 at 1.4. Quality is almost as important as the voltage rating. You can't go wrong with sparkle or enermax. If your mobo doesn't have any voltage adjustment, you could try the pencil trick on the L7 bridges. You can try penciling in the 3rd bridge of the L7 to raise the voltage to 1.85.

tane

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
Well, i'll have a look into it. I don't really want to start messing about with the physical side yet.

My mobo doesn't allow voltage changes - yet. I went to update the BIOS, but the rom file was corrupt, so I am emailing to see if it will be updated.

I actually found out my board is a PC Chips M830LR. Suppose it serves me for not having enough cash on the day, and not getting an AEUS board or something :(