Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

After I load my computer and type my password into the welcome screen it
takes 7 seconds to load my background and icon names and start menu and after
that it takes a further 100+ seconds to load icons properley and taskbar.

Could you help. I do a regular Disk Clean, registry clean, defrag, spyware
scan and anti-virus scan. On my taskbar I have a Safley Remove Hardware icon
for my Speedtouch modem, my modem's other icon,Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Watch
and ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

Any Suggestions. Help A.S.A.P.

--
Thanks
Rhys Thomas

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

If you recently installed sp2, and you have usb printer fax, or other device,
you may have to de-install the driver using device manager. Need help? Open
up help and support and search for "using device driver" Open it up. Scroll
down to Universal Serial Bus and open the +. Double click Generic Usb Hub.
Open the power tab. Your offending device may be there. Or open other hubs
and check power tab.

When you find your device, open driver tab and un-install it.
Disconnect usb cable for the device. Install your drivers for the
device(from cd). Re-connect cable usb to device. Reboot. And Add Hardware
will recognize the device at boot up.

"paduarhys" wrote:

> After I load my computer and type my password into the welcome screen it
> takes 7 seconds to load my background and icon names and start menu and after
> that it takes a further 100+ seconds to load icons properley and taskbar.
>
> Could you help. I do a regular Disk Clean, registry clean, defrag, spyware
> scan and anti-virus scan. On my taskbar I have a Safley Remove Hardware icon
> for my Speedtouch modem, my modem's other icon,Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Watch
> and ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
>
> Any Suggestions. Help A.S.A.P.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Rhys Thomas

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

paduarhys wrote:

> After I load my computer and type my password into the welcome screen it
> takes 7 seconds to load my background and icon names and start menu and after
> that it takes a further 100+ seconds to load icons properley and taskbar.
>
> Could you help. I do a regular Disk Clean, registry clean, defrag, spyware
> scan and anti-virus scan. On my taskbar I have a Safley Remove Hardware icon
> for my Speedtouch modem, my modem's other icon,Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Watch
> and ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
>
> Any Suggestions. Help A.S.A.P.

Work through some clean boot troubleshooting.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434