hard drive memory problem

Andy

I recently upgraded to DSL internet service, and since then, though I have
taken precaution measures to make my system secure, my open hard drive space
seems to be declining at an alarming rate. My laptop is an older one (Dell
Inspiron 7000) but it handles XP Home edition well and uses the DSL
connection fine. I've enabled WEP and MAC address security along with
ZoneAlarm firewall and Norton antivirus. However, despite all this, it seems
like every time I look, my hard drive open space has declined by 50-100 Megs,
and so now I'm practically out of space.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
-a.

If you have "system restore" turned on, then it is constantly creating
"restore points" when certain changes are detected. Also, "indexing
services" if active, is constantly updating index files - as more files are
added, the index files get larger. Both actions constantly using more of
your hard drive space.

--
StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, give me turbos"

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded to DSL internet service, and since then, though I have
> taken precaution measures to make my system secure, my open hard drive
> space
> seems to be declining at an alarming rate. My laptop is an older one
> (Dell
> Inspiron 7000) but it handles XP Home edition well and uses the DSL
> connection fine. I've enabled WEP and MAC address security along with
> ZoneAlarm firewall and Norton antivirus. However, despite all this, it
> seems
> like every time I look, my hard drive open space has declined by 50-100
> Megs,
> and so now I'm practically out of space.
>
> Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
>
> thanks
> -a.

Use filemon from Sysinternals to see what is writing to the hard drive. Also,
make sure that your pagefile is set at a fixed size and not a range-much
better performance.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

"Andy" wrote:

> I recently upgraded to DSL internet service, and since then, though I have
> taken precaution measures to make my system secure, my open hard drive space
> seems to be declining at an alarming rate. My laptop is an older one (Dell
> Inspiron 7000) but it handles XP Home edition well and uses the DSL
> connection fine. I've enabled WEP and MAC address security along with
> ZoneAlarm firewall and Norton antivirus. However, despite all this, it seems
> like every time I look, my hard drive open space has declined by 50-100 Megs,
> and so now I'm practically out of space.
>
> Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
>
> thanks
> -a.

TRENDING THREADS