Help needed buying new motherboard

G

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new mobo and CPU.

My old one is a classica athlon 900 and chaintech 7-ata slot a mobo.

Basically for few months this worked very fast. But since then i have had random system freezes. I tried every fix on the net. STill happens, all OSs I try all software fixes, to no avail.

SO finally i am sticking a big middle finger up to VIA and AMD and getting an Intel solution.

The problems are probably cos i have geforce 2 gts, sound blaster live platinum and an adsl USB modem.

Very bad combo when mixed with via/athlon.

so I am looking at getting p3(1 gig) and good mobo.

any advice?

All i want is someone with sb live, non via chipset mobo and geforce 2 to post what mobo they have here.

I just want stable system. I no longer have time to faff around with via 4 in 1. AMD and microsoft agp patches, swapping sblive in pci ports etc.

so anyone got a similar setup with very stable system?

ideally it would be good if u haad an alcatel usb adsl modem, but that doesnt matter as i know USB power problems only exist on via chipsets.

any advice appreciated greatly.

(please dont suggest amd/via/athlonXP, i will not buy any of these until they can create a system that doesnt need tweaking, drivers etc to get stability.

ta in advance

rp2000

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might want to cosider the Asus TUSL2-C. Even better for compatability/stability is the Abit BX133-RAID. But the TUSL2-C has the advantage of supporting Tualatins.

Back to you Tom...

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Damn, Crashman. Do you work for ASUS or something? You recommend that board at least twice a day!! =) Actually, I'm thinking of picking one up. Only $99 thru PriceWatch.

-DOOM
"Ultimately, there is no knowledge -- only belief."

G

But does anyone have a similar setup to the one i described installed and running woithout problems? That would ensure minimum of fuss when I make the purchasae.

Basically all it has to have is a p3 and non via chipset mobo, qand soundblaster live. I also have geforce 2 gts and usb modem (ADSL ALcatel) but the chances of someone having all of these items is very rare!!!!

VIA chipset mobos have trouble supplying enough power to USB devices and also they are crap with soundblaster lives.

All i need is someone witha similar rig to give some advice. SO I can know in advance wheteher there will be problems etc, I dont want the hassle of installing it all to realise that it doenst work etc!!

rp2000