Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New computer and Internet but still getting lag

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 25, 2011 6:01:20 AM

So today Verizon came and installed the new internet for us Fios (fiber optic) lines and hooked everything up. I though finally no lag or ping spikes and I was right. My ping went from a 60-100 to a steady 20-25. The problem is even though my ping is great I'm still getting lag and I don't know why. It just seems like in the middle of playing online all the graphics will get real slow like its computer is going faster then the gpu can create and render the image. I'll also have times where when my character is running in a First Person shooting game everyone around me will just stop and walk in place for a fraction of a second. I was looking at lagometer and its showing no signs on internet connection troubles so what do you think it is. Is it the video card, Video card drivers, lan port on the mobo or something else. Below is the setup I built and the only software on the computer other then my games is Avast anti-virus.

Seasonic 850X Gold 850W psu
Intel I5 2500k at stock for now
Gigabyte Radeon 6970 video card with latest 11.XX series drivers
128mb SSD
1TB HDD
Gigabyte Z68-UD4-B3 motherboard
8 gigs of Corsair Vengence Ram

I think I hit everything if not ask

More about : computer internet lag

October 25, 2011 1:45:38 PM

the is only thing that might be casing lag .. the distance of the server that you playing at .. just try to play at server near your city .. to find a server go to www.gametracker.com and select server search then select your country and game you playing and hit search .
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 3:23:03 PM

Well, yes the distance from the server matters alot but the main thing here is the ping of other players too. They can cause the whole server to lag.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 25, 2011 4:18:46 PM

I doubt its the distance. I'm in PA and the server I play at is outside of Washington DC. I'm getting a 20 ping at those servers on the East Coast. It still seems like its something on my end. Would it matter if I were using high-end videocards with an old analog moniter. I have an old Dell LCD moniter for now that still uses the old blue video connecter and I have to use an adapter. I don't know if that would matter or if resolution could matter either.
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 4:27:20 PM

rds1220 said:
I doubt its the distance. I'm in PA and the server I play at is outside of Washington DC. I'm getting a 20 ping at those servers on the East Coast. It still seems like its something on my end. Would it matter if I were using high-end videocards with an old analog moniter. I have an old Dell LCD moniter for now that still uses the old blue video connecter and I have to use an adapter. I don't know if that would matter or if resolution could matter either.


Some of the older monitors do lag or "ghost" depending on response time.
Also what programs do you have running in the background?
If someone is DLing/Uploading you will lag
If you have bit torrents running or seeding you will lag
Or check your connection to make sure people are not leeching
Some servers just lag .....I can connect to a BF3 server with 11ms ping, once in the server with a full load my ping shoots to 100-150 , this is server side lag and you may be experiencing that.
Also ....try and update your motherboard/ethernet drivers, some old drivers may cause lag as well
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 4:37:02 PM

As far as I know nothing is running in the background. The only other program installed other then my games is Avast antivirus and I was told that it leaves only a small footprint and uses very little cpu resources. I do ctrl+Shift+esc to bring up task manager. The problem is I don't really know what alot of the stuff is. Some of it is easy to figure out like punkbusters and important windows 7 tasks but again most of it I don't know. I'm guessing most of it is important Windows task that have to be running.


I did download the lastest ethernet drivers from Gigabyte's website. NIC cards are installed through a PCI-E slot right? If so I never installed a NIC when builing the computer so there's nothing that can be causing it there.
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 4:55:21 PM

is your GPU overclocked? if not, with that set up, chances are your server is lagging. Try other servers see if you experience the same thing, the game behavior you describe is exactly like lag, whether it's your machine or server you should be able to determine from a net graph, but idk if your game has it.

m
0
l
October 25, 2011 5:47:57 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with your internet connection but something not right with your computer.

What games are you playing?
Does it only happen on 1 game?
Do you have these issues in single player? Increase the bots until you have the issue.
Update your graphics drivers
Malware might be installed, you may want to run some apps to look for this.
What are the temps inside your case on full load?
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 6:18:22 PM

AntiZig said:
is your GPU overclocked? if not, with that set up, chances are your server is lagging. Try other servers see if you experience the same thing, the game behavior you describe is exactly like lag, whether it's your machine or server you should be able to determine from a net graph, but idk if your game has it.


Right now no its not yet overclocked. Most of them I don't think have a net graph but do have lagometer.

jgiron said:
I don't think it has anything to do with your internet connection but something not right with your computer.

What games are you playing?
Does it only happen on 1 game?
Do you have these issues in single player? Increase the bots until you have the issue.
Update your graphics drivers
Malware might be installed, you may want to run some apps to look for this.
What are the temps inside your case on full load?


Mostly Call of Duty series and Company of Heroe's. I'm waiting for the new Bad Company and COD MW3 to come out. Company of heroes seems a little weird too but I thought maybe it was just the game. I do have the latest 11.XX series drivers installed from AMD. What is a good reliable program to use to check for malware and is safe to download?
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 7:39:40 PM

Thanks. I don't know how I would have gotten malware I don't go on the internet on the gaming computer. The only thing I used the internet for so far is:

Gigabyte to download all drivers for the new mobo
AMD for the lastest dislplay drivers
File Hippo to download a COD 1.5 patch

The only one I can see where I might have gotten something is from file hippo but I was told they've been around for a pretty long time and is a pretty safe sight for patches. Are all those malware sights above safe to download?
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 5:43:17 PM

Ok two more things I just thought of that might be a piece to the bigger picture.

1) I have the I5 2500k and I was looking at Intels website and it says it comes with onboard graphics. If it has onboard graphics how do you know if its trying to run that over a discreet video card and how do you disable it in the BIOS?
I have the I5 paired with this mobo-

2) If you try to run a high-end videocard with a junky LCD moniter that by today's standards would be running in low def could that cause lag?


AntiZig said:
Free anti-spyware/anti-malware:
-malware bytes
-spybot search & destroy
-super anti-spyware

I'd recommend to test your temperatures and voltages. Use something like EVGA or MSI software toolkits, although simple stuff like speedfan or hwmonitor would do the trick.


I ran malwarebytes but it came up with nothing. I don't really think its a trojan, malware or computer virus I think its something related to hardware.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 6:21:48 PM

rds1220 said:
Ok two more things I just thought of that might be a piece to the bigger picture.

1) I have the I5 2500k and I was looking at Intels website and it says it comes with onboard graphics. If it has onboard graphics how do you know if its trying to run that over a discreet video card and how do you disable it in the BIOS?
I have the I5 paired with this mobo-

2) If you try to run a high-end videocard with a junky LCD moniter that by today's standards would be running in low def could that cause lag?




I ran malwarebytes but it came up with nothing. I don't really think its a trojan, malware or computer virus I think its something related to hardware.


Due to it being a new rig, no malware and nice specs ....I would be pretty sure in saying that its server side lag.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 7:11:26 PM

When u play Single Player or against Bots does it lag?

If you installed the drivers for your video card then you are using the Video Card and not the onboard. Otherwise you won't see anything on the monitor (your cable is connected to the video card)

I don't think that the monitor is your issue.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 11:30:10 PM

O ok. from what I've been reading it sounds like trying to run a high-end card on low resolution would cause a bottle neck and could cause problems.
m
0
l
!