Hudson187

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2001
Hey guys/girls..I was thinking of building a new computer, and I found a case I love (In-Win Q500) for 70 bucks with a 300watt psu. Do you think that will be enough power to hold these components ??

Epox 8K7A+ Mobo
1.4 GHZ Athlon TBird with fan (prolly from www.3dcool.com)
256 DDR 2100 Ram
2 HDS (IBM 60gig ATA100 7200rpm and a IBM 20gig ATA66 7200rpm)
Geforce 2 GTS (O/C)
SB Live 5.1
DVD Drive
Plextor 12/10/32A Burner
Network Card
Zip 100
Real Hollywood DVD Decoder Card
Floppy Drive
Maybe a few more things

I currently have a pIII 500 with all of that equiptment (but 256 PC100 ram and 2 IBM 20 gig HDS) and thats on a 200 watt (maybe 230) psu and its running fine. What are your opinons ? Thanks !!!

Jay Romano

G

300watt should be fine. However, I'd make sure it isn't an el-cheapo one (see Tom's new article).

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>

G

Me too!

THG has an article (pretty new) talking about the pitfalls of the PSU being one of the first things being compromised in the quest for cheaper cases.

300W is enough, just find out what PS is installed. Check the AMD and/or INTEL sites to make sure it is approved! Maybe the supplier would let you switch for an enermax or other quality PS if it is not on their lists. (prolly cost you an extra $25 or so, but worth it IMO)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i got an omni mini tower with a generic (omni) 300W psu...

and boy was it cheap. so glad i got an enermax.
if you are doing any overclocking, get an enermax. 350W should be sufficient.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

A saw the word Inwin and couldn't resist, I love these cases.

In a past life I worked for an Inwin distributor, the cases themsleves are very high quality, good materials and well constructed. The PSU is made by a third party manufacturer (I've forgotten the name). Inwin used a 1-2% failure rate when supply replacement PSU's, but we never used half of those. In fact I started a little sideline of selling the PSU's separately. Quite a tidy product really.