Freeze

G

Get very intermittent freeze. Blank screen with single bar across top of screen when booting or rebooting win98 and win98se happens on different machines different motheboards. So far only thing common is Via chipset. Processors used are Duron900 and Athlon Slot 1

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I used to have that problem. I changed a lot of things around March of this year. One of the changes fixed that problem and it hasn't returned. The changes were new Via 4-in-1 drivers (4.26 at the time), BIOS update, and a new power supply. I suspect it was the power supply that fixed the problem but I'm really not sure which change did the job.

Do you happen to have Geforce256 video cards? They are really power hungry. That's why I replaced my power supply.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

G

Thanks for the reply !
The video cards are mainly TNT2 and geforce mx200.
Will try an upgrade to newer drivers, although the problem happen on a new machine yesterday. Will check version of VIA drivers

Thanks again

SkuZzZz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
I used to have a similar problem with a non via mobo (amd 750), cured it by changing power supply, I just got a blank screen with a green dotted line across the top, I have had this happen with 2 nvidia gfx cards (one tnt2 one gforce), I cured it by replaceing psu, if your problem is same, maybe the same cure.....

G

Slot 1 Athlon?

Usually caused by instability of some kind.
Could be power supply or something is overclocked.
DO Tell what boards, whats in your system and what you were doing when it happens, and what gets you to this conclusion etc

But then again the instability could be a flamer!

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You might also find some good ideas for your problem at <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com</A>.

Similar to the Geforce256 cards, the TNT2 cards were also fairly power hungry. Difficulty with these cards have been seen in many Super7 motherboards and earch Athlon/Duron motherboards. If a video card is causing stability problems (as opposed to drivers, etc) the 2nd best work-around is a power supply with ample current capability, especially on +5volt and +3.3volt lines. 20 amps on each should be considered a minumum for a Geforce256 on an Athlon/Duron system. (I would guess 16 to 20 amps should be considered the minumum for a TNT2). However, I don't consider having just the minimum very reassuring. Like most people, I recommend Enermax PSUs. I have the EG351P-VE, 330 watts, for my Duron system but I recommend the Enermax's newer model, the EG365P-VE, 350 watts, as my personal "minimum". One might need more if he/she has system with 8 drives, 12 fans, 2 NICs, etc. but for a modest system, even with a top CPU and video card the EG365P-VE should be enough.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

G

At the moment I am using four FIC mobos AZllEA three with Duron 900 and one Athlon 1.2. They all have the same problem
Although the Athlon 1.2 fails the most. The power supply used on the 1.2 Athlon system is a DEER computing 300watts with 3.3v@20A and 5v@30A. The problem is: on booting up Win 98Se or win 98 when win is nearly finished booting I get a blank screen (colour is the background setup in screen settings) with a green bar across the top. If I hit ctrl,alt,del I sometimes get the taskmgr with nothing listed, or sometimes win may go a little further. Thanks for all the input will look into an even higer wattage power supply. Don't have the problem with MSI 6330 or elite mainboards

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by robert_cannon on 10/23/01 07:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>