Why I still love Crysis 2

Arumin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hi,

Crysis 2 seems to be a dying/dead game now, but I still love it and there are still plenty of Servers on the PC.

Mainly I love it because you really can feel super human, and being innovative with your suit and surroundings allows you to really push the limits of what a player can do in current FPS games. Also the music and graphics really build a great experience.

I have made this video to give some tips about how to play better in Crysis 2, Crash-Site mode but mainly to try and show the cinematic epic-ness and some of the versatility when your back is against the wall that keeps me playing this FPS more than any others. (its not just a kill montage)

[HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glizo-MjgLk
[HD]

Video Layout:
1.attacking the crash-site on your own.
2. Holding the crash-site until back up arrives.
3. Zergging the crash-site when scores are close and time is short to deny or score points.
Then it shows a match which shows all the tips being used.

I hope you find the vid enjoyable.

please let me know what you think of the vid

I'm not really in to multi player games. I've gone through Crysis 2 three times in the single player campaign. The 3rd time I played it (several months after playing it a 2nd time) I decided to kill as many aliens as possible in hand to hand combat and lots of stealth. That included taking on the some of hulks with fists / blade.

That was challenging, but needless to say, the original Crysis was a much better game.

Just waiting for Crysis 3 now. Hope it's better than Crysis 2 which is really just a shooter game on railroad tracks.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
You did a nice job on the video.....I've always wanted to put something together like that but I'm too lazy. ;)

There's a lot of things I like about Crysis 2, and quite a few things I don't. I'm a huge fan of original Crysis, and especially the feel of the interface. That was the biggest letdown for me when I started playing 2. All the precision control offered the player in the first game was essentially dropped. No prone, no lean, "combined" suit functions and terrible jump lag. They took a huge step backwards in the FPS mechanics. The entire style of gameplay established in the first game was also, for the most part, dropped.

I do think the game (now....post texture / DX11 patch) looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing some of the custom maps the CryMod guys come up with.....the NYC Park Beta map for MP that one of them came up with is just gorgeous - - I just can't find a server hosting it with a decent ping.

Gun modeling / skinning is outstanding. Sound design is some of the best I've heard. I just bought BF3 thinking that is was going to be a new graphical benchmark, and I am utterly disappointed. Awful textures EVERYWHERE. Low-poly models all over the place. Crysis 2 destroys this game visually.

Multiplayer - small maps and frantic action. I can have fun with it for awhile, but it doesn't last. I miss the big maps, vehicles, and more open feeling of Crysis Wars (which is all but totally dead). So now I have to go to BF3 to get that kind of game.

I hope they rethink their approach for Crysis 3.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I think this is where we have to disagree. ;) I see just the opposite in Crysis 2. High quality textures throughout, and much better model / object quality. Reflective and wet surfaces look better than any other game I've played. I think before the high-res texture pack, there were certainly a lot of pixelated messes, but now for the most part, I think it looks outstanding. Ah well.....we all see things differently. ;)

crysis2.jpg

crysis3.jpg

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
ya we do but hey both are great games. what really sold me on bf3 was the open environments and the vehicles and if i just wana *** around in a jet for 3 hrs i can. i still like crysis i just think ill end up addicted to bf3

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I'm glad someone made this thread. I have a soft spot for Crysis 2 and it's almost entirely because of how their motto "be the weapon" really felt applicable in multiplayer. You really feel like some post-human badass running around in a versatile and almost indestructible suit. The integration of sprint duration into the suit power supply I think was a good one, because it stops people from running around in stealth for infinitely long periods of time and because that doesn't happen, there are far fewer nanovision campers than there would be.

I know Crysis 1 has a lot of fans, but the multiplayer in it is kind of sad. It's clunky at best and personally I think leaving prone position out of Crysis 2 made the multiplayer feel infinitely more competitive than cloaked nano-campers in prone position and dolphin divers.

These are just my opinions, but I'm rock steady in how I feel about the 2 games. Every time I decide to go play some Crysis 2 multiplayer on PC with dx11 and high-res textures, it just really feels like a great multiplayer game with gorgeous graphics and some really fast frantic action.

OP couldn't have stated the fine points of the game any better imo.

I agree with jaguarskx on Crysis 2 being just a shooter on rail road tracks. It was pretty much just straight forward. Crysis or even Warhead (even though the plot was just too short) was much better.