max size of file cache in Windows XP?

Hi, Does someone know the maximum size of the file cache in
Windows XP Professional? I have an XP-Pro machine with 2GB physical
memory here & the cache is topping out at about 542MB for some reason
(see debugger output below).

I have already set the LargeSystemCache key in the Registry to a value
of 1. I also experimented with a Russinovich utility called CacheSet.
So far, I've had little luck in getting the system to use more than
542MB for the file cache.

I am guessing the maximum is hard-coded because of an article at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/optimize/wperfch7.mspx#EBAA.
The authors noted a 960MB maximum for the file cache in Windows 2000
*Server.*

Info on XP's maximum and/or tips would be appreciated--

--BGU

____________

lkd> !filecache
***** Dump file cache******
Reading and sorting VACBs ...
Removed 1 nonactive VACBs, processing 2045 active VACBs ...
File Cache Information
Current size 511216 kb
Peak size 555372 kb
2045 Control Areas
Skipping view @ c1040000 - no VACB, but PTE is valid!
Skipping view @ ce0c0000 - no VACB, but PTE is valid!
Skipping view @ d53c0000 - no VACB, but PTE is valid!
SkippedPageTableReads = 0
File cache has 114192 valid pages
1 answer Last reply
More about size file cache windows

    Hi,

    I recommend to set the physical memory to System Managed. The amount of
    memory utilized at a given time will depend on the number of applications
    running, the amount of memory allocated to each application and so on.
    Setting the memory to a particular size especially trying to set the maximum
    size will make the situation worse.

    Regards
    M. Rajesh
    ..Net and Windows Shell MVP
    www.winxpsolution.com.

    "Blake" wrote:

    > Hi, Does someone know the maximum size of the file cache in
    > Windows XP Professional? I have an XP-Pro machine with 2GB physical
    > memory here & the cache is topping out at about 542MB for some reason
    > (see debugger output below).
    >
    > I have already set the LargeSystemCache key in the Registry to a value
    > of 1. I also experimented with a Russinovich utility called CacheSet.
    > So far, I've had little luck in getting the system to use more than
    > 542MB for the file cache.
    >
    > I am guessing the maximum is hard-coded because of an article at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/optimize/wperfch7.mspx#EBAA.
    > The authors noted a 960MB maximum for the file cache in Windows 2000
    > *Server.*
    >
    > Info on XP's maximum and/or tips would be appreciated--
    >
    > --BGU
    >
    > ____________
    >
    > lkd> !filecache
    > ***** Dump file cache******
    > Reading and sorting VACBs ...
    > Removed 1 nonactive VACBs, processing 2045 active VACBs ...
    > File Cache Information
    > Current size 511216 kb
    > Peak size 555372 kb
    > 2045 Control Areas