We have been unable to install any updates from Window Update website for the
past 7 weeks. If SP2 is not present, the main available update is SP2. The
download fails, so it does not even get to the installation phase. If I
download and install SP2 separately and visit Windows Update site again, it
still fails to download and install the remaining updates. This problem is
not present at Office update site.

Does anybody know what is going on?

WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193385
WINUP: Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update

or try the WU NG
Windows Update newsgroup:
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US